1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
“A Great Gulf Fixed”
--The Rich Man And Lazarus—
Luke 16:19-31

In this parable Christ shows that in their life men decide their eternal destiny. During probationary time the grace of God is offered to every soul. But if men waste their opportunities in self-pleasing, they cut themselves off from everlasting life. No after-probation will be granted them. By their own choice they have fixed an impassable gulf between them and God.

This parable draws a contrast between the rich who have not made God their dependence, and the poor who have made God their dependence.

Contrast the rich man and the beggar, Lazarus.
Rich Man
Rich – fared sumptuously daily
Clothed in Purple and fine linen
Plenty to eat
Good health
In his house
Indifferent to needs and sufferings

Lazarus
Poor Beggar
Rags
Starving – desired scraps (rich man’s table)
Full of sores – dogs are licking his sores
Outside at the rich man’s gates
In need and suffering

What did God give to the rich man and why?
God gave the rich man wealth, good health, and the needy, to either lavish himself with or to help others in need that cannot help themselves.

What did the rich man do to the beggar, Lazarus?
Nothing – he did not help the beggar in any way. But he also did not show him violence or require the beggar to go away from his gates even though the sight of him was disagreeable.

What should the rich man have done that he did not do?
Come to the beggar
Feed the beggar
Clothe the beggar
Care for the beggar’s wounds
Picked him up
Carried him into his house and
Give him shelter

As you look at what the rich man did not do, what comes to mind?
Jesus Christ this is what He does for us!!! He:
Comes to us where we are
Gives us food and water
Clothes us
Cares for our wounds and bandages us
Picks us up
Carries us into his house and
Gives us shelter that we may be safe.

But this is not what the rich man did!

Now, the beggar died, he that had nothing in the earthly life will be exalted in the heavenly life to come, and an angel took him to heaven into Abraham’s bosom. The rich man also died, and was buried, and in **** he lifted up his eyes, being in torment, and seeing Abraham afar off, and the beggar, Lazarus, in Abraham’s bosom.

Now there are some very significant things that are said in verse 22 and 23. First Abraham died and was buried (Genesis 25:8-10), Abraham is not in heaven and no one goes to his bosom but to Jesus’ bosom. Abraham is used here because the rich man, as Jesus knew, was a Jew and using Abraham, as an illustration would be known to a Jew and all the people about Jesus listening. The rich man was buried; he did not go to ****. The Bible says that when in **** not that he went to ****, he went to the grave not **** but when he gets to **** there will be a great gulf that cannot be bridged.

Lazarus represents the suffering poor who believe in Christ. When the trumpet sounds and all that are in the graves here Christ’s voice and come forth, they will receive their reward; for their faith in God was not a mere theory, but a reality.

“And the rich man cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I m tormented in the flame. But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy life time receivedst thy good thing and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.”

Here in verse 24 and 25, the rich man, a Jew, prays to Abraham saying “Father Abraham,” “have mercy on me.” He did not pray to God, but to Abraham. Thus he showed that he placed Abraham above God, and that he relied on his relationship to Abraham for salvation. Because non is Father but God which is in heaven. The amount of water from the tip of a finger would not make a dent in the coolness of the fires of ****. Here what we need to be focusing on is that the position of the rich man and Lazarus is now reversed. It is the rich man that is in need and Lazarus is without need.

In verse 26-31 it says that there is a great gulf that is fixed or set firm which cannot be moved or bridged from one direction or the other direction. The rich man sees the problem that his decisions had lead him to and he prays that Lazarus be sent to his fathers house that his brothers will not make the same dreadful decision that he had made. But Abraham said to the rich man that his brothers have Moses and the prophets, meaning the Biblical writings of that time, let your brothers read and learn from them. The rich man said that Moses and the prophets are not enough but if one were sent that was dead unto my brother then they would repent, asks God for forgiveness of their sins. And Abraham said, if they will not read, and here, and believe Moses and the prophets, then they will not repent for any reason even if one was raised from the dead.

Jesus himself said that no matter what I do, if you do not already believe Moses and the prophets neither would you believe me. He was also through this parable meeting the people on their own ground. The doctrine of a conscious state of existence between death and the resurrection was held by many of those who were listening to Christ’s words. The Savior knew of their ideas, and He framed His parable so as to inculcate important truths through these preconceived opinions. Christ desires His hearers to understand that it is impossible for men to secure the salvation of the soul after death. This life is the only time given to man in which to prepare for eternity.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Donna would you agree that this parable is ultimately about the heart? Where our treasure is, there our heart is. If our treasure is Jesus we can use our financial resources to help make His name great among the people of the world. If our wealth is our treasure we may end up like the rich man in the parable.

I however believe the rich man was in torment in **** at the moment of death.

·
Registered
17,612 Posts
I, Me, believe this is one of the most significant arguments for the existence of **** and a warning.
It is clear, and most scholars from antiquity agree, that this is not a parable as men are named. Paradise is the place Jews/faith believers were kept until the consummation of the sacrifice of Christ Jesus when he led captives captive.
It is clear from the story that those in **** are separated from God but are able to see into Gods domain forever, while being tormented by the flames. Those in paradise, later heaven, were not/will not be aware of the existence of those in ****.
I think it is a real situation, not a parable.
Blessings

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rbishop –

Yes, I agree with you that where the heart is so is where our treasure lies. Just like as in Romans 6:16 “Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?” who we obey is who we are servants too, just as who we or what we love is who we obey and where the heart is that is where our treasure is too.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I agree William, it is not a parable and the rich man is in **** now and will be until the Great White Throne judgement, where he will be judged and then cast into the lake of fire where he will spend eternity in torment..

·
Registered
244 Posts
williamlayton said:
I, Me, believe this is one of the most significant arguments for the existence of **** and a warning.
It is clear, and most scholars from antiquity agree, that this is not a parable as men are named. Paradise is the place Jews/faith believers were kept until the consummation of the sacrifice of Christ Jesus when he led captives captive.
It is clear from the story that those in **** are separated from God but are able to see into Gods domain forever, while being tormented by the flames. Those in paradise, later heaven, were not/will not be aware of the existence of those in ****.
I think it is a real situation, not a parable.
Blessings
I concur.

Mike

·
Registered
42,257 Posts
Clearly an actual situation...

When the Lord told a parable, often times he would say " I speak to you a parable" or similar words.
This story is obviously factual, since He names the people..
If He were telling a parable, He would not use proper names...but would say something like " a certain man...."
The story of the "Good Samaritan" or the rich man that built larger barns...they were not named..

Maranatha....Ironglow

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.