Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I want start my first build, was going to go with a brooks napoleon and want to go full civil war replica. Is a 1/4 scale that much better or will I get same satisfaction from the 1/6 scale barrel? My only problem with not going with the 1/4 scale is I have a hard time spending almost double on the barrel

·
Registered
4,394 Posts
I think there is no comparison. Go with the 1/4 scale.
You will love it! Be prepared for the massive amount of time needed to make an accurate field carriage.
Zulu

Musical instrument Plant Wood Motor vehicle Grass

Cannon Plant Motor vehicle Wheel Wood

Bicycle tire Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Bicycle part

Wood Plant Outdoor furniture Art Machine

Hand tool Wood Metalworking hand tool Typesetting Font

Wood Font Art Gas Typesetting

Automotive tire Wheel Wood Motor vehicle Alloy wheel

·
Registered
348 Posts
So I want start my first build, was going to go with a brooks napoleon and want to go full civil war replica. Is a 1/4 scale that much better or will I get same satisfaction from the 1/6 scale barrel? My only problem with not going with the 1/4 scale is I have a hard time spending almost double on the barrel
Or save some cash - l got a 13 inch gun steel barrel for 165 bucks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
4,394 Posts

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Like Zulu Iwould go with the larger gun. I have a similar sized 32 pounder from Brooks in 1 inch caliber. I was shooting a .50 caliber gun before that and did not like dealing with loose powder and the shock and awe was fun, but does not compare with the 1 inch gun.

Making cartridges at the 1 inch size is easy either for shooting a ball or making a salute round with flour.

There is a significant price difference, but once you complete this project I can guarantee you will love this gun and not regret the additional cost. The 32 pounder has replaced all my smaller guns and along with a gun M&T at Seacoast/Dom Carpenter built for me are my go to shooters.

my 2 cents worth!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Steve,

Have you fired this yet? I don't think I have seen those yet....must have those you know. :)
Was great on July 4th with 100 grains pyrodex and patched wine corks. My 77 year old Aunt Terry insisted on lighting the fuse. Wish we could upload videos on here...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts