Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am doing a rebarrel/rechamber on a marlin 336 and will have a 356 win. I am going to make some short 1.8" brass and work up a whitetail load with a 200g jacketed sp. I will need to make a crimp die and want to know how others have solved this problem.

BB

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Use a Lee 358 winchester crimp die and put the round in from the top. Run the piston up to bottom of die and crimp. I used that little trick on the 35 rem shorts last year and it worked like charm.

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Regular crimp die or the factory crimp die?

BB

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Factory crimp die. This way I didn't have to alter the dies in any way and thus retained their value for re-sale if I so desired. To adjust where the crimp is applies you can use O-rings or a washer around the neck of the cartridge to adjust seating depth. You can crimp the bullet at any point along the neck. I figured it still accomplishes what a crimp is supposed to do which is keep bullets seated in the cartridge under recoil when it is in a magazine and create a uniform starting pressure to help with accuracy.

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks 8uck5nort!

I made some dummy rounds today and they crimped perfectly upside down in the FCD.

I am waiting on my 336 to arrive at my ffl, but i expect to have my 1.8" 356 up and running in a couple of weeks.

BB

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
Cool. 8)

·
Registered
5,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did I mention I am easily distracted? AIl I needed to complete the 356w was cut the chamber when i found a deal on a 44mag barrel. The 35 cal barrel is sitting in a corner and the 336 is now a 445sm, but not for long. I plan to build a 1.8" 44 cal tapered cartridge. I will post details when/if I complete this project.

BB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.