Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having so much luck with the cast performance bullets in my 357 max I decided to try them out in my 44's. I chose the 300 grn wnfpgc . I wanted one bullet to shoot in my 44 pistol, handi 44 mag rifle and my 444 marlin, as well as my two cva accura muzzle loaders. Well It worked out well for everything but the cva's. 15 grns of 2400 gave me great groups out of my 44 mag handi, as well as my model 29 6", and a stiff load of H335 with the same bullet gave me 1" groups at 100 yards with the 444. The 444 load is pretty stout at 2150 fps, but safe in my gun. With the muzzle loaders using green harvester crushed rib sabots, accuracy was pretty disappointing, but the 265 hornady flat points shoot great so not such a big deal. I am really a fan of the cast performance bullets, especially since I haven't gotten into casting myself yet.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
I have had mixed results myself using cast grooved bullets in sabots for some reason.

·
Registered
795 Posts
I've used LBT style bullets in many of my Handi Rifles. Best results have been with my .357 mag. With the Handi 44 mag, I find that the bullets need to be sized about .432 or they don't shoot well. I wouldn't normally size them above .430 for a handgun.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Knurling the bullets between two files helped out a lot when plinking at the range with lead bullets in sabots. Helps the sabot get a good purchase on the slick lead.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts