Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A nearby gunshop has an used Ruger #1 .375 H&H for sale to an affordable price. But what are your experiences of that cartridge in that gun? Handling, accuracy, balance and felt recoil?

The Number One is a nice and beautiful rifle, which have I at the range handled in smaller calibers with pleasure and good result. A bigger bore stands high at the agenda, but is this a good choice? Single shot is not a problem - I hunt a lot with my drilling, and one pill use to be strong enough.

Thankfull for your inputs!

Pete

·
Premium Member
6,755 Posts
It's got quite a punch to the rear, but not so bad as the 416Rigby. Should make a bear grunt when shot anyway. It makes my 45-70 seem tame, as it is quite a quicker sharper recoil... it was Pop's gun and we sold it years ago, but I kinda' still wish I had it.

Ben

·
24,159 Posts
dont know if this will help or not but i used to own both a model 70 and a #1 in 458. Both recoiled substantialy but the #1 was the easier of the two with the same load.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I bought a Ruger No.1 tropical, 375 H&H mag about 1 1/2 yrs. ago. Took it to Zimbabwe for a DG hunt this last Aug. The gun has a good shove, but is easy to master. First thing I'd do is put a pachmyar decelerator recoil pad on it. I shot a tuskless cow elephant and a cow cape buffalo with mine.

You will enjoy the gun.

Mad Dog

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
I have had one since the 80`s an it is a nice accurate shooting rifle! Recoil to me is not all that bad, not like a .458 Win Mag! I would get it!

·
Registered
292 Posts
It's the best of the tropical rifles to actually carry and hunt with unless you really are going to Africa for the DG and want a bigger bullet. Pick up a 458 heavy barrel and walk around for a few minutes and see what the difference is. The 375 barrel is lighter, balances and handles well. The others are front-heavy and balanced differently. Recoil is reasonable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.