Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
What rifle? Target model? Standard? Mannlicher? Aftermarket barrel? What ammunition, high vel, target, match? Your question is like asking ‘how long is a piece of string‘. More details and we can give you more accurate answers.

Reactions: RT8

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I have a standard 10/22 that would shoot phenomenal with the original Remington Thunderbolts, but they would only load with the original rotary mag due to the truncated nose. Then Remington switched to the round-nose profile for the Thunderbolts and accuracy went to pot. Haven't found anything since then that the rifle really likes. Lucky to hold a 3/4" group at 30 yards now.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I've only ever seen and heard of Viper's and Yellow Jacket's having the truncated nose. Never cared for the Thunderbolt's, but they were round nose and many many moons ago.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I've only ever seen and heard of Viper's and Yellow Jacket's having the truncated nose. Never cared for the Thunderbolt's, but they were round nose and many many moons ago.
Into the early 90's Thunderbolts were still truncated.
They didn't feed worth a diddly in the high capacity Ramline mags and Remington changed the profile to round-nose to feed in the popular 30 and 50 round mags.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 45/70fan

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
5 shots, 50 yards, 1/2" or better is as good as it gets with a 10-22.

Better test is to use 10 separate 1/2" target dots. Shoot 1 round at each target. Score 9 out of 10 at 50 yards and you have a tack driver, in my opinion.

·
Registered
36 Posts
What is considered an excellent group for a 10-22 at 50 yards? I shoot 10 shot groups.
I sent a standard, blue, wood stock, 10/22 back to Ruger because it wouldn't group better than 2" at 50 yards regardless of ammo. I even tried a target stock which free-floated the barrel. Ruger sent it back saying 2" at 50 yards is within their specifications.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
I sent a standard, blue, wood stock, 10/22 back to Ruger because it wouldn't group better than 2" at 50 yards regardless of ammo. I even tried a target stock which free-floated the barrel. Ruger sent it back saying 2" at 50 yards is within their specifications.
Well that's 4moa, a pretty typical standard for mass-produced firearms. I'd be selling or trading that one though, I know they can do better.

·
2,725 Posts
My recent manufacture 10/22 with the Mannlicher stock, BX trigger upgrade, 2x10 scope, from the bench with ammo it likes will do 1 inch ten shot groups. Plenty accurate enough for the tree rats and bunny's I hunt with it.

I have shot 10/22's that would do better, some worse. Big $$ invested can turn any 10/22 into a real shooter, but I have found a good trigger, and experimenting with ammo delivers the best bang for the buck results.

Larry

·
Registered
64 Posts
My recent manufacture 10/22 with the Mannlicher stock, BX trigger upgrade, 2x10 scope, from the bench with ammo it likes will do 1 inch ten shot groups. Plenty accurate enough for the tree rats and bunny's I hunt with it.

I have shot 10/22's that would do better, some worse. Big $$ invested can turn any 10/22 into a real shooter, but I have found a good trigger, and experimenting with ammo delivers the best bang for the buck results.

Larry
Had a friend that had one that would only shoot well with winchester power points, he bought ever carton he could find of that same lot...Then some thief got his rifle..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts