Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Is that “PAT.“ written across the top?

it would be helpful to see a picture from the rear. If it is a blank firing cannon that uses 10 gauge shells then some kind of hammer or trigger mechanism was attached. It would have been mounted in a manner that still allowed you to insert and remove the shell.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You didn't show a photo of the breech were the part is missing?
I'm Sorry I was just looking to see if anybody could come up with manufacturer name . The only writing on cannon is the PATD on top. I figured the triangle slot holds a hammer and a #3 taper will fit in hole under breech. if the taper shaft had a plate on it it would support the shell in breech. Just thinking of what I might do.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
That is a unique breach can't say I have seen one before . Can you show a photo with the shell loaded?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Interesting cannon, but I am confused, one photo shows it all cleaned up and everything but the wheels looks like brass? The other photos make it look like it is maybe cast aluminum, or ?? Also, if a 10 gauge shell fits into that hole in the breech, then the whole cannon must be a lot larger than it appears in the photos. Compared to any 10 gauge signal cannon I have ever seen, I don't see how this would work, looks like it is something half-finished. I agree that additional photos showing a loaded shell would be helpful, as well as maybe a photo showing the muzzle? It is certainly an interesting puzzle!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Interesting cannon, but I am confused, one photo shows it all cleaned up and everything but the wheels looks like brass? The other photos make it look like it is maybe cast aluminum, or ?? Also, if a 10 gauge shell fits into that hole in the breech, then the whole cannon must be a lot larger than it appears in the photos. Compared to any 10 gauge signal cannon I have ever seen, I don't see how this would work, looks like it is something half-finished. I agree that additional photos showing a loaded shell would be helpful, as well as maybe a photo showing the muzzle? It is certainly an interesting puzzle!
The cannon and wheels are cast steel . I sand blasted and painted all and installed wheels with new modern cotter pins holding wheels on . it was badly pitted and wanted to know if any cracks or concerns because I am planning on firing it . It was obviously fired long ago because the spent shell was in it when i got it . paper shell i dated 1897-1905 thank you

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is that “PAT.“ written across the top?

it would be helpful to see a picture from the rear. If it is a blank firing cannon that uses 10 gauge shells then some kind of hammer or trigger mechanism was attached. It would have been mounted in a manner that still allowed you to insert and remove the shell.
PATD on top as if patented

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I thank you all for your help I'm going tom make this work come **** or hi water so to speak . I was hoping to identify the manufacturer but feel that wont happen . its cast steel sandblasted then painted. The shell that was in it was a 10g new rival I dated to 1895-1905 or close .I'm going to make a percussion hammer hit shell mounted to v shape slot. it looks like screw broke off in slot holding strike hammer. #3 taper hole with plate should should support shell from coming backwards . Anyone think this insane or have better idea would like to here about it . Thank you for any input I'm new to this site and thank you . I love cannon's only have small ones so far . I am making one also .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
To explain better my thought was to make a v shape 1/4 inch thick plate to fit in grove . drill and thread plate in groove as i think it was originally done and bolt plate to cannon where it looks like a threaded bolt broke off (see pic). . weld or solder a strike hammer on plate with spring or catch to hit primmer with pull cord . also make a back plate on #3 taper hole below shell to hold shell in place to stop it from shooting backward . Any input appreciated . I can only assume how this was made or worked . Thanks again Bangbang

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Firing mechs interest me. Here are a few photos that may be useful as you design some to retro fit this cannon. Might be able to mount your breech plug in the V slot. If it were angled both vertically and horizontally then that could wedge it in tightly. If this were safe would be @nother issue. Then the hammer mech could Mount in the hole in the carriage maybe like the Strong cannon pictured.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts