Graybeard Outdoors banner

12/30/02 Browning BPCR Production Data Update

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  EDG 
#1 ·
For some time now I've been researching all aspects of the manufacturing of Browning's BPCR and have previously posted production data provided to me by Browning. At my request Browning recently checked their production records once again and in more detail than they had previously done. The following is what Browning found and is an update to the production data I previously posted. To summarize the data below the quantity of "standard rifles" (not including prototypes) produced and sold were:
2,504 rifles made in .45-70
1,329 rifles made in .40-65
316 rifles made in .45-90 Creedmore
All together totaling 4,149 rifles

The details:
Per the factories production records, BPCRs were only manufactured from 1996 through 1998. The total quantity of rifles produced in .45-70 Government was 2,504 (543 in 1996, 1481 in 1997, 480 in 1998). Total .40-65 Winchester production was 1,329 rifles (459 in 1996, 870 in 1997). No .40-65 rifles were manufactured in 1998. Browning noted the production data was not exact but should be close. It was taken from historical sales data, which listed total sales numbers and remaining inventory for each of the years involved. A more accurate number would require a detailed search of the purchase orders held by Miroku, Browning’s contract manufacturer in Kochi, Japan, who manufactured and assembled the rifles. The totals do not include several prototypes made in Browning’s USA facilities, and several more made by Miroku.

In addition to the “standard” .40-65 and .45-70 rifles, 316 Creedmore-Type Long Range rifles were manufactured. 300 were assembled with a windage-adjustable front sight specifically designed for the Creedmore. Shortly afterwards, 16 Creedmores were assembled from spare barrels but additional windage-adjustable front sights were not available. The 16 extra 45-90’s were made up using the standard BPCR front sight, not the windage-adjustable sight. These were sent to Browning's Morgan, Utah facility and later sold.

Wayne

See less See more
#2 ·
12/30/02 Browning BPCR Production Data Upda

Thanks for posting this. Does any data exist for the 78 and the standard and TH 1885s ?
I have heard that Winchester might be slated to market 85s in the future.
I this bull of is there some basis for this rumor.

Ed

#4 ·
12/30/02 Browning BPCR Production Data Upda

Hello Ed and GB.

GB, I've limited my research to the BPCRs and therefore do not have data on low walls.

Ed, in discussions with a couple of well-placed managers at Browning and Winchester I know it is certainly Winchester's intent to introduce special runs of 1885-type high walls. I was not provided with specific details.

Wayne

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.