Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking into building a full size 24 pdr coehorn for a while now but it seems like the tooling and monetary requirements are a little ways off for me. I could build all the additional tools I would need but they would contribute to the second problem.

I have put the project on the back burner for the time being and started to plan some of my other projects. I was looking at the web page on building the mountain howitzer (due to the questionable nature of the site and the past problems leave off the link, if you want it just google buckstix). I noticed a new addition about the building of a 12 pdr coehorn. It would be within the size range I am looking for and within my capabilities. I have the plans for the 24 pdr but I was looking for drawings of the 12 pdr and a little more info.

·
Registered
7,580 Posts
Yeah!

The 12 pounder would be an excellent compliment to the 12 ouncers that a lot of us shoot!

·
7,087 Posts
Are you looking for 24 pounder plans scaled to 12 pounder diameter or plans for an original 12 pounder? I can supply the former.

·
Super Moderator
16,610 Posts
I had this piece of 6 1/4" x 12" that was bored 2 3/4" for pop cans.

I had Powder Keg open it up to 3.56 for a 6PDR.

Using that same piece of steel for a 12 PDR in a confederate pattern, straight walls would leave walls .815 thick. (6.25-4.26= 1.63/2=0.815)

I have full scale plans for the Confederate 12 PDR. The steel called for in those plans is 8" x 18", finished tube is 13 3/4" x 7 3/4". The Feds didn't have a 12 PDR.

Here is the difference between popcan and 6PDR.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am looking for the plans for the 12 pdr. I have the ones for the 24 pdr that could be scaled if I need to. Scaling the plans would not be a problem but I would like to build a full scale piece that is accurate to the originals.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts