Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read a post somewhere about the difference in 12" vs. a 14" barrel in a 30-30. I've tried searching for it but can't find it? Anyone know where it is? How much do you really loose in a 12" barrel vs. a 14" barrel?

Thanks.
Tipiguy

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
I had a 14 inch hunter 30-30 and came to dislike the break, not because of the noise, but because when rested against the side to a tree, the shower of bark that came off the tree was pretty disturbing. I had the Muzzle tamer cut off and it left the barrel at 12.5 inches and it balanced nicer without a rest and no more bark flying. I don't think the velocity loss is significant. If you like 12 inches I'd go with it.

regards,
Graycg

·
Registered
62 Posts
Barrel lenghts

Joe Wright (President T/C Assoc) wrote article comparing 10" to 14" bbls stated testing had showed straight walled cases ( 357mag, 44mag, 45ACP & the like) show an increase of 15-25 fps for each Inch of barrel. Bottleneck rifle cartridges generally show increase of 35-50 fps for each inch of barrel. Straight walled cases gain 60-100 fps going from 10" to 14"& bottleneck cartridges gain 140-200 fps going from 10" to 14". Hope that this will help you with your question...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts