Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
227 Posts
I like it, reminds me of the old Honda "fat cat" if I remember correctly. Did you buy it or make it. Specs please?

peak98

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
pretty nice almost-a-cushman you made.
i did want to see the stand in the background too :'( :( :'(

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks peak and ranger.

peak, I built it from scratch two years ago. Tires are 22 by 11 rear and 22 by 10 front. Powered by a 6 1/2 hp Harbor Freight Predator engine, geared 75 to 1 on the low side of the torque converter, 25 to 1 on high side. top speed about 10 to 12 mph. Will pull me and a dead deer up any hill I have encountered. Have used it to haul bags of cement, pull a 14 foot trailer loaded with parts, drag tree trunks, drag railroad ties. The back part makes a nice work bench for doing chores on the farm.

ranger, I think the "stand" is one of the ramps on the trailer. The other ramp is down to unload the bike. The old trail scooters of the 50's and 60's were the inspiration for the build.

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
ha! yep. a ramp.
my first thought was ladder stand.
you can tell where my mind is at. :D

i really like the homemade.
i'm glad to see something someone uses
that didn't cost as much as a good used
truck, and needs a payment book from the
credit union. 10 mph is plenty fast enough
for a hunting rig. i've hunted most all the
terrain in texas except the panhandle and
the far west, and never have seen the need
to hit 50 mph until packed and on the
highway home.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
5 days here in MN till we hunt, I am anxious I was one of the lucky ones to get drawn for an either sex tag.
Joined the "BIG BUCK" contest at work but will take the first mature deer I can either sex. I better get the sausage and whole milk for the gravy and get the biscuits figured out. Mmmm
Anybody have a excellent biscuit recipe, please PM me. I have used tube biscuits before but wouldn't mind making scratch. - Thanks Brent

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
You get right down to it biscuits are technique. Dough needs to be moist, work it as little as you can, cook them in a very hot oven, 475 at my house. I use either a pizza stone or an iron skillet.

If you are serious, start making 1/2 batches. Pay attention and vary what you do, make some damned wet others dry, use too much shortening, use too little, work it a bunch, work it very lightly, same with oven temp. I use self rising flour, buttermilk and shortening, can't remember the last time I measured anything. I started with the recipe on the flour bag.

Forum Obstructionist

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Thanks- Sounds like my egg noodle recipe, its a feel thing. Once you get it started just add till it feels like you are used to.
Sorry to take the Thread off topic, will start a new thread. Thanks thejanitor

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Getting back on track, my season starts second week of rifle season. There have been a couple nice bucks on camera, not great but nice. The winter was tough two years ago, really cleaned the deer out.🙁

Forum Obstructionist

·
Registered
579 Posts
I use the frozen biscuits now, very easy and taste as good as anything I make. If you make from scratch use a good self rising biscuit flour and shortening or lard. Cut the fat into the flour until you have a crumbling mess then add buttermilk until you have a very moist batter roll out and cut. Don't work the batter to much and use a cast iron skillet in a hot oven.

·
Banned
3,717 Posts
Quickest, simplest & best recipe for biscuits I have found. I use Bisquick when available, but most storebrand mixes also work- Great value- Best Choice etc. 4 cups of mix, 1/3 cup of sugar, one 12 oz beer. If you want lighter fluffier biscuits use lighter beer, if you prefer heavier more yeasty biscuits use dark beer. I usually make smaller batches for biscuits & gravy for me and my wife. I dont drink so I prefer to use the 40oz Busch beer bottles so I can reseal the bottles.

2 1/2 cups mix, 1 cup Busch, 1/4 cup sugar makes 12 good biscuits in a standard muffin pan. Each bottle makes 5 batches.

If you like them a bit more yeasty I use Michelob Amber Bock.

20 to 22 minutes at 400 degrees. ;)

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks J A and Dinny.

Several friends have expressed interest in Mr Goat. If I was 20 years younger I would seriously consider making a limited run. Can't see to weld well enough for commercial work and man handling 20 foot lengths of steel is getting to be no fun. I can generally manage for a day but the next couple of days I try not to move :) :) :)

Dinny, you are close enough to come up and ride it around the yard.

Bill

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.