Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going on a Bear hunt. 100 yards or less. Can anyone recomend a load, or reload spec?
Thanks Scott

·
Registered
141 Posts
30/30 for bear

I used my 14" 30/30 year before last, took a 500 pounder. I was using 150 grain Hornady's and a near max dose of 3031, it seemed to shoot best for me. I'd probably go with 170 grains if I was planning on it again. Since then though I have been using my 45/70, seemed like a better idea and did the job real nice on my bear this year. 8) 8)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks

I want to use a 165gr balistic tip Nosler. Not sure on the powder,or cap..Any Ideas?
Thanks SD

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
You did not say what kind of bear!

Black bear.... 150 grain.
Grizz...NO WAY!
Polar Bear....NO WAY

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Thank you Dave. It will be for Black Bear..

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
I should hae guessed!

Just don't want to see anyone else eaten this year by a bear. Although it is interesting reading, usually the bear and the hunter are both unhappy about having their names in the paper.

Also once the bears get started on human flesh it is harder to bait them with dog food! Makes it tough to hunt ya know!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bear Food

I always hunt with a 45cal H+K strapped to my hip in addition to my rifle or TC Contender. Its like that old saying things you see when you don't have a gun. Well I like to carry two.

People out west wear bells arround there necks when they are hiking to scare away the bears. That makes it easy to to the diference between Grizzly bear crap and Black bear crap. The Grizzly crap has the bells in it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts