Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The picture below are some dies I made up for necking down 17 HMR cases to .14 cal. Takes two steps about .015 each step. The die has one step in it and the other step is below it, then a fully neck sized 14 HMR. I am going to stub off a barrel for the .14, shoot it on a RF frame, if that is not satisfactory I will then rechamber it to a CF 14 to shoot on a SB2 Frame. Larry

·
Registered
103 Posts
All I gotta say is ...... THEY MAKE A 14 lol good lord .... well I do have a question... can you get primed rimfire brass so you dont have to pull 17 HMR bullets all day long...

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Well the 17 ought to be a real bird killer ;D. What are your expectations as far as velocities? Uses?

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll just have to pull down 17 HMR I think. I have seen some published data for 14/22Mag (which would be nearly the same) that says 3,700 with a 10 gr bullet. Larry

·
Registered
42 Posts
I don't know what your expecting to achieve with this but I'd bet it'll be quick. Should be a good gopher gun. Keep me posted this is interesting.

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The barrel is currently chambered in 14-221 which launches 10 gr bullets at close to light speed. I think the 17 HMR case will be more practical, like a 50 yard pigon killer. Larry

·
Registered
138 Posts
Very cool Larry and a nice job on them dies!!!! Did you get in touch with anyone who has done this 14 rimfire yet? I also have the 14 caliber reloading manual with the load data you are talking about.... There is a fell'r who hangs out on saubier that makes his own HP 14 cal bullets from a CNC machine in WY... I was at his shop last spring when we were out that way shooting PDs... I am not sure how they ever panned out but I am thinking he was having good success with em Is this a custom 14 cal barrel that you had fitted to the NEF?

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
trotterlg said:
The barrel is currently chambered in 14-221 which launches 10 gr bullets at close to light speed.  I think the 17 HMR case will be more practical, like a 50 yard pigon killer.  Larry
The speed of light is pretty fast!!!!!!!!!! 299 792 458 m / s    Dale

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have talked to a person there who made up the 14 Short along with a bunch of others. I am curious if there is any load data for the 14-22 mag round in your book. Larry

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
All I can say is WOW!!! That is so cool! I would love to see that pigeon get hit! That sounds so incredible! So let me get this strait, you pull bullets from 17 HMR cases, then you neck em down when they are emptied of powder, then neck em down and put your powder and bullet in? So the case stays "primed" the whole time? That is crazy cool! I bet you invest a lot of time on that one there!! Keep us posted!
Hank.

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will have a go at it. I do have a through the scope video system set up, would probably work great on the .14, really no recoil. This is a video with my 17 Remington. Larry

http://www.22-250.com/cup.wmv

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
MAN!!!
that is way out there, is their no end to a shooters dreams.
what ever caused you to think of this.

·
Premium Member
4,282 Posts
Very cool Larry keep us posted. Kurt

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Nice Vidio! Do i dare ask how that was accomplished? YES! ;D :D ;)
Hank.

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am in Arizona now or I would send you a picture. It is done with mirrors, I have an adaptor on the rear of the scope, a 70%-30% mirror passes 70% of the light to my eye and sends 30% to a video camera, it is recorded on a Mini DV tape. What you see is exactly what you get. Larry

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
That is AWESOME! Where or how could i get my hands on one of these?
Hank.

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's a one off item. I do this sort of thing for a living, (the optics not the shooting) so it is just something i ginned up one weekend. Larry

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
How did you make it? could anyone make it you showed em how? ;D

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's made from PVC pipe, the mirror and a piece of glass. I used one of the little color video cameras that is about 1 inch square, I will take a picture of it when I get home and post it. Larry

1 - 20 of 26 Posts