Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody used 150 grain pointed core lokts in 30-30 carbine? Wondering if there will be adequate expansion for deer hunting?

·
Registered
657 Posts
Speed? I didnt get good expansion in a 30/06 15" Encore pistol barrel after 75yds. It still killed, but not good unless bone hit. Went to 125gr ballistic tips and a whole new animal.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Speed? I didnt get good expansion in a 30/06 15" Encore pistol barrel after 75yds. It still killed, but not good unless bone hit. Went to 125gr ballistic tips and a whole new animal.
My experience has been just the opposite. I killed a young bull elk at 75 yds with a 30-30 AI and found the bullet, Rem 150 gr, core loc lodged in the hide on the other side fully expanded. It left the muzzle at less than 2500FPS. I found the ballistic tips almost explosive and ruined a lot of meat. I only shot one animal with them so it probably isn't a fair comparison.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've always liked the 130 hotcore. Not super pointy but a fairly good smasher. I only hunt deer though so elk is out of my experience. The cavity back 125 mkz would prob be a great expander and penetrator. With a decent bc for a lighter bullet. I believe he sells some for blkout supersonic speed as well as a harder one for 308/3006 speeds.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts