Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I HAVE A G.A. PRECISION ROCK BARREL. GOOD GROUPS WITH THE 168 SILVER TIP, AT 3050 WILL IT EXIT ON DEER UP CLOSE? IM ONE OF THE GUYS THAT PREFER AN EXIT.

·
Registered
10,334 Posts
encorejames, What caliber are you shooting this in. I would assume 30cal but it would help if we were sure. Is the 3050 you mention feet per second. If it is that sounds pretty fast for that bullet, which I believe to be a target bullet as oposed to a hunting bullet. Regards, Byron

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
300 wsm 168 silvertip

It is a 300 wsm, and iv used balistic tips for years but know when im at the top speeds for holding together. But normally im shooting 2506 and 6.5mm. I figured the 168 may hold together at 3050 fps. I use the triple shock in my 2506 and get good results in and an exit. The reason I wanted to hunt deer with this bullet is my gun loves them. I shoot under 1" at 400 yards. I have scanned in targets but not sure how to insert.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
encorejames,
The silver tip bullets are good hunting bullets for moderate velocity impacts but from a 300 WSM your results will more than likely be explosive out to about 200 yards when it slows to23 - 2500 fps. At that point you will likely get full penetration and good exit wounds.

PaulS

1 - 4 of 4 Posts