Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,614 Posts
I have also read about it and it looks good.
Personally my 17HMR and 22H/223Rem cover my needs in this area.

CW

·
Premium Member
4,722 Posts
What CW said. Plus that little 17 bullet will drive me nuts trying reload it. I get sore enough from the 204Ruger ;D Kurt

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Personally my 17HMR and 22H/223Rem cover my needs in this area."

CW
They cover my needs quite well, unfortunately they leave a huge gap in my "wants"

Thats where Im at also. but theres nothing wrong with wanting another. DR

·
Premium Member
16,614 Posts
LOL,
As many have said "need" isn't even a consideration . ;)

If it where, all only have a 22RF a 30-06 and a 12Ga... ::)

CW

·
Premium Member
4,722 Posts
At one time not so long ago I would of been all over this for PD hunting. What with 17Rems 17-221fireballs 17-223 17Hornets. I have a pretty big battery of rifles for that now but pretty much got myself set on just a few as I only have so many days to shoot and so much time to reload. I found myself going crazy trying to keep at least 300 rounds minimum for each gun. And when a couple of them I keep at least 1000+ loaded. Don't know if I am getting wiser,older or just plain lazy. About all I use any more are my 5mm RF,204 ,2 223's,22-250AI thats 5 that pretty much covers all throw in a 22Hornet 22 Rem Jet and the 7x57 thats a lot to me anyways. Now for someone who may just be starting to do this the 17's are prolly a hoot. What I do like from what I have read is the Superformance powder and I am going to try and work that into a couple of my loads. But then maybe what about a 17 Hornet pistol. What I should be buying is a Auto loading set up instead of using this one armed bandit loader. ;D Kurt

·
Registered
520 Posts
I just bought a 17hmr just for the barrel for this project. It will likely be a twin to the 17 fireball that I have. There is something to be said about a quiet very low recoil rife that is a laser out to 200-250 yds. Do I need it, not really, but it is my stress relief.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have everything but the barrel set aside for this. Even a Bushnell 3200. Im not shure if Ill rechamber a 17 HMR or stub in a Green Mountain 17 cal barrel. Ive been watching the boards for 17AH reloading dies but have been beaten out on the few that come up. Heres hoping the H&R mothership sees this and does a run of them! DR

·
Premium Member
11,226 Posts
Cooper Firearms has been making this round for years, calling it the 17 Squirrel. Dies should already be available, perhaps under a different name though.

Thanks, Dinny

·
Registered
520 Posts
The squirrel is a hornet case that is shortened 1/8". This has the same oal as the 22 hornet. I am not 100% sure, but it may fireform to the 17 K hornet. The dies will be a production die by Hornady, I am sure.

·
Registered
8,558 Posts
.17 Hornet

It's a new cartridge. They necked down the .22 Hornet to .17 caliber. Wondering if H&R are going to do make a gun for it. While it is not as fast as the .17 Remington, or the .17 Fireball, I believe it is doing over 3700fps. (I'll have to check on that but I think I am right). Great trajectory out to 300 yards.

·
Premium Member
1,338 Posts
Re: .17 Hornet

It would make a great accessory barrel, since it would fit most all SB1 and SB2 frames. ;)

I've only given slight consideration to ordering an accessory barrel, but this would be one that I definately would order if they produced one.

·
Super Moderator
51,896 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.