Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a 17 wsm reamer they would loan or rent to me?

Just got a 17 hmr sportster that needs some attention.

·
Super Moderator
51,061 Posts
Just a heads up, this isn't a rechamber you want to try by hand, needs to be done on a lathe or at least a drill press, it's way too easy to end up with an egg shaped chamber due to not being able maintain perfect alignment with the bore.

Tim

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup. Large drill press is the plan.

I have seen numerous threads on this topic. What I haven't seen is pics of the outcome or range reports.

Anyone?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thx Tim.

Lots of talk over there. Most not good.

Now I'm second guessing myself. Wsm or hornet? Probably wont shoot either much. Just itching to rechamber the hmr that I also don't shoot.

·
Super Moderator
51,061 Posts
I sold my 17hmr Sportster, the bull barrel just isn't a great carry rifle, prefer my CZ American for gray diggers.

Tim

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LTD, that would be great. Thx!

PM me with $$ and how you want it.

Any idea who might have a hornet extractor in stock?

Nice group by the way.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Same ejector as the original 17hmr worked just fine for me. I didn't need to modify. You will need a centerfire sb2 receiver to fit your barrel to. I've also used an older topper receiver that worked fine. The large firing pin sb1's may not work. I believe the pressure from the .17 hornet to be similar to the .22 hornet which was available as an original topper chamber.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
I sent smithd1 a pm.

Anyone who wants to rent can pm me and I'll rent for $30 plus $8 to ship. After 5 rentals I'll donate the reamer to the forum if Tim wants it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome. I'm excited.

Wasnt sure if the hmr extractor would work so I ordered one for a hornet.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finished the rechamber this afternoon. Pretty easy job.

My only mistake was cutting the ejector lip a little on the thin side. It works fine but will most likely need to be replaced inthe future. A true hung round might bend or shear it off.

Thx Lt for the rental. Will have it back in the mail for you asap.

Range report first chance I get.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Let us know how it shoots. That's the fun part.

BTW, I didn't need to modify my ejectors at all. There must be a little play in the fit to let it handle a slightly larger case diameter.

I think that changing the barrel marking would be easiest to just change the m in .17 hmr to an o to read .17 hor

Maybe do this with a little diamond tip engraving tool. I didn't think of that earlier but that's what I would try first.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts