Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading another forum where a guy was hunting hogs with a 17HMR. He said he always aimed for the ear. Is that really a big enough caliber to kill most decent sized hogs? I have several on my food plot and the 17 would be quiet to keep from disturbing any bow hunters.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
If you got it right in the ear canal, then yes. I have taken a fair number of orchard deer with a 32/20 in the ear. I wouldn't count on the 17 hmr anywhere else on a hog though. They are after ll squirrel bullets,very fragile.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I take it you're an FSU fan ... me too!!!!

·
Registered
10,335 Posts
I know the 22lr will work for brain shots under 40yards. Probably the 17 would also. Brain shots only, and close enough to be certain. Regards, Byron

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I have a 17 Mach II and it's a great little cartridge, but not for hogs.

·
Premium Member
23,845 Posts
17HMR for hogs? ::) Irresponsible.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
Is that kinda like using a .223 on cape buffalo??

Use enough gun to do the job. The .17 HMR is good for small game but using one on a wild hog is just ridiculous!!

Spanky

·
Registered
261 Posts
irresponsible is posting something with out ever doing it. My cousin lives in Florida and has a tomato farm. He has killed in excess of two hundred hogs with his 17hmr. Do not shoot them in the ear canal. That is a hog hunter who does not know a hog. If you want to kill them, shoot them two inches in front of there ear. Like a temple shot. There is a void in the hogs skull there. It drops them in there tracks. He does not take a shot over 50-70 yrds and his gun shoots sub moa. You have several variables here. One there in the open standing around. The distance in which he shoots. And most import shot placement. I have seen him take at least 30 hogs this way.

When i go hog hunting I would not grab a 17hmr. But for his application it works really really well. His application looks alot like yours.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I agree with PreBanPaul on this one. A 17 in the aspect your looking at should work as well as a 22mag, 220 swift, 222, or 223. Just make sure they are all head shots. As well as know your gun and your limits with that gun. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
I think knowing your limits with a gun is as important as it gets, if you do not you can not hope to make bullet place.
I have a 17hmr and with 17gr ballistic tips, it does wonders to tame feral house cats
i have been told that with fmj's or hp the work well on coyotes, have a 204,243,25-06 for those purposes.
I talked to a man at Cabelas the other nite that says he has killed several hogs wit the 17, says the fmj will shoot through a hog (never did tell me what size hog)
i do believe that hogs are a lot easier to kill than most people think but the 17 is out of MY limits for hogs.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
It would not be my first choice for a large animal. However, here in south mississippi you can only use a caliber of weapon that is in season for another animal to hunt hogs. For example a 22 for squirell. I have killed a sow in the 250lb range with a 22 mag at close range. Due to a running shot i had to track it almost 100 yards. Instead of getting a head shot my lead was off and i got a neck shot and the bullet just really doesn't do enough damage to kill quickly. I would stick to any caliber suitable for deer. Personally my favorite rifle to hunt hog with is a 94 winchester. Shots are usually under 30yds. Most lay down and never get up.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I've seen a head shot made with a .17, between the eyes at under 20 yds. It took a couple of minutes for the hog to die and it was sickening to watch.

·
Registered
848 Posts
There are much better choices for hogs than a 17 HMR. You shoot a 400 lb. Russian boar with a 17 if you want to, you better be in a tree!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts