Graybeard Outdoors banner
61 - 80 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
And I've had that same thought - it was a time of war, we did what we had to do with what we had available !!

I'm leaning toward a flat plate that sits under the front of the mortar and lands just above or even with the side plates so that I can add the wood quoin base and quoin. May require a call to ZULU for the quoin handle.

And yes, you DID send wood. I can't find the keg of powder I snatched out of your garage tho - ?

:)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
A little more progress, working on the flat plate in front of the mortar, and the shaft / tubing between the plates inside the rear. Alignment of bolt holes is a challenge. Committing to one side is easy. Getting the holes on the opposite side, a bit more challenging. I'll likely have to re-assemble the mortar on the bed to ensure alignment is correct before i punch holes in the other side :(

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Those are some stout pieces of steel. Coming along really nicely.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 · (Edited)
Thanks Fred. I have to cut 2 more holes for the 1" bolts thru the t-bar for the "lever ears" and then I can try and assemble all of it. I suspect I'll be drifting some of the 4 holes of the front plate, possibly the 2 for the 2" OD DOM tubing between the insides of the rear of the bed. And even assembled, once I try to get the mortar back in the trunnion cups I’ll likely have more fine tuning.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
More progress yesterday. I had to notch the spacer plates and t-tar for the 1" bolt that will go thru the maneuvering "ears". They will be the same 2" OD x 1/2" ID DOM as the bar at the back of the bed. Some fine tuning of the holes on the inside / outside plates and the front plate bolted together.

I'm confident I can get the other side fit the plate and DOM spacer, and both sides bolted together. The unknown is how the mortar will sit once everything is in place.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 · (Edited)
I was able to get both sides, the front plate, and the rear tubing all bolted together yesterday. A good die-grinder bit is essential for getting 29 bolt holes (each side) aligned for the the bolts to fit. Most of the bolts are going thru the 5 different parts that make up each side.

On one side, the carriage bolts that go thru to the underside of the flat plate did not sit exactly flat against the outside plate. I realized I'd be better off working on those when I took it apart again.

While I had it assembled again, the big test... how would the mortar sit? Last week when we used the clamp on forks for my loader, rated at 4K pounds (but made in China). I was nervous with a lot of weight at the very end of the fork. Yesterday we used 2 heavy heavy lifting / tow straps I have (made in USA) that are rated for 2.5K pounds each. MUCH better way to pick up the mortar and align it to / lower it down to the bed.

End result, the mortar sat in the trunnion cups / mortar bed like it's lived there all it's life.

I've got it all apart again and will start work on getting the parts sanded and ready for paint. I'm thinking I'll add lever ears to the rear of each side as many beds did have them front and rear.

As it sits today it's a slim trim 854 pounds.

Attachments

·
7,185 Posts
Looks great!

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Wow! Looking awesome.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Now I can quit calling them ears...

Two militia cannoneers can be seen posing behind their weapon with handspikes, while another pair demonstrate how these implements were to be thrust beneath the maneuvering-bolts, so as to leverage the mortar into firing-alignment.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
I watched a demonstration video and thinking the maneuvering levers they used were wood. Must be stout wood tho.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I found this while poking through the Mordecai plates-- looks like they used a mixture of wood, wood with iron shoes and iron bars, depending on application (circa 1849)
Rectangle Font Parallel Paper Design

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 · (Edited)
Thanks for sharing Shred. Very worthwhile.

Work on my mortar has slowed to a crawl due coordinating the replacement of part of our driveway and drainage culvert, and then a fire last Friday at a rent house we have. Very high winds brought down a large limb that came down on the power lines and started an electrical fire. Fortunately, it happened at about 4 PM, the tenant was home, she and her son are fine. And then there's always my day job with January being a monster month for the work I do.

I did come across a very nice build of a Seacoast Mortar. It may have made it's way here before, but I've not seen a reference to it here. The mortar is very similar, but quite a bit smaller, than the GOW mortar I'm working on.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
The Texas Deep Freeze set me back. I’m not sure February really happened. Add in spring chores at my labor camp and getting the mortar finished has been a challenge.

Finally have the first part primed. Many more to go but at least I’m back to making progress. I can see the end in sight and getting anxious to complete the project.

61 - 80 of 144 Posts