Graybeard Outdoors banner

101 - 108 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
I have the sides put back together. Getting the 5 plates /spacers of each side aligned for the 29 bolts was a bit of a challenge.

Our weather for the next few days looks favorable for more outdoor painting.

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
Just a fine point on your carriage, traditionally the nuts go on the outside. Check out the photo of the 13in dictator mortar on line. Or this 8in mortar on youtube.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Thanks Moose. I’m kinda stuck. The outside plates of each side are square punched holes for the carriage bolts. The side plates are close to identical but not interchangeable - at least not without some effort.

I’d seen a few examples of the bolt head on the outside and I liked the look, and am pretty committed to it now.

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
It is entirely what you like, My point was made in case you weren't aware of it . After all I wanted modern rubber artillery tires on my 40mm so I could tow it. 😁

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 ·
Moose… I’ve come to realize I’m a rookie mortar bed builder!! I should have sought more input from the full forum from the start. At this point, not historically correct, but the best I could do.

Hoping it does no do back flips when Double D fires it off :oops:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
More progress with prime and paint.

The sides are assembled. Hoping the prevailing locknuts work as expected.

The inside of each side and cap squares finally have their first coat of paint on them.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 · (Edited)
Now we’re starting to look like something.

Hoping this is the final coat of paint. If it is, once the paint has cured, next is getting the mortar on the bed.

101 - 108 of 108 Posts