Graybeard Outdoors banner

1911 Carry Options?

6K views 25 replies 20 participants last post by  glockmeister 
#1 ·
So what's your preferred method of carrying your 1911s? I know there are countless options these days but I still prefer good old leather. Comfortable, reliable and a touch of class. :) One of the reasons I like this Gold & Goodrich because of the thumb break retention strap.

See less See more
#4 ·
still sorting out how I want to carry my full sized R1, I have an Alien Gear IWB and a belt slide type for belt carry. Between the new holsters and the new 1911, I find I'm having to re-learn how to draw after 35+years. (my first 1911)

#6 ·
When concealment is important, I like an inside the WB rig (Desantis) with a thumb break. Any other time, a leather pancake holster of some type, also with a thumb break or retaining strap that goes between the hammer and frame. Just feel better that way when cocked and locked, and it really doesn't slow you down if you practice a smooth draw. Simply Rugged and El Paso Saddlery make some nice ones.

Larry

#7 ·
ColdWarVet340 said:
Yes i agree, GI flap holster, pistol belt, spare mag's & a nice M3 trench knife to keep it company.
I had a rig just like that my last tour! 'cept the knife was a K-Bar. ;D

#8 ·
AtlLaw said:
ColdWarVet340 said:
Yes i agree, GI flap holster, pistol belt, spare mag's & a nice M3 trench knife to keep it company.
I had a rig just like that my last tour! 'cept the knife was a K-Bar. ;D
It's a little something i put togather a few years ago to honor my grand dad who was a sapper (MOS Pioneer 729) in Europe during W.W. II he said this was the set up that he used. he carried the M1 Carbine to. i also have one of those.

#14 ·
Hey Doug - good to seeya again. Hope all is well.

I have two rigs, or holsters I prefer for my 1911s when carrying concealed: one is a Milt Sparks inside the waist band piece of quality leatherwork I prefer for warmer wear as it has two belt ties or snaps that really help distribute the weight of a fully loaded 1911 and that makes for a comfortable carry all day; the second is a basic Uncle Mike's ballistic nylon holder, another inside the waist band holster that I carry in a 'Appendix' carry position that is quick to access and secure. When not concealed I use a issue holster, belt and double ammo pouch liberated from Army surplus...................

#18 ·
For EDC belt slide, pancake, or IWB at about 4:00 strong side. Cant remember the old Texas Ranger who opined the 'best holster is the least holster' (that is still a holster, I presume).
For the field, flap that I can slide from 3:00 to 4:00 to get it 'out of the way' for whatever work Im doing. Cross draw is fine if Im not doing anything but walkin' and pokin' about, otherwise Im banging it up.

#21 ·
Many on here like the thumb strap, The only times I have ever had the safety come off unintentionally was with a thumb strap holster. Have carried cocked and locked for years with no thumb strap and never had the safety come off. Don Hume belt slide or shoulder holster both great for driving.

#25 ·
I've been using a Blackhawk Serpa for my 1911 Springfield Armory Range Officer Operator only because it was a I could find locally for my gun. Last week my bride of 56 years asked what I wanted for Father's Day, I told her I wanted a Tucker & Byrd Texas Short Stroke, she told me to order it, needless to say she did NOT have to tell me twice. It should be here in abut 3 weeks. For anyone that does not know this holster is lined with smooth leather and has the IDPA legal low cut front. I will post pictures when it gets here. Just nothing like the smell and feel of leather, especially if it holds a 1911. Take care, John.

#26 ·
Toney, I just took a look at your holster that you made. That is very NICE work. Do you sew your leather on a machine or by hand. Very nice stitching and molding, great work. Do you do this a full time work or only as a hobby, either way very nice work, be proud of it. Take care, John.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.