Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1911 taurus has about 3000 rounds fired. A problem has cropped up.With a round in the chamber and the safety off the gun will not fire because the trigger can not be pulled. When I remove the magazine and eject the round then pull the trigger no problem. This problem started near the end of a shooting session (about 70 rounds) and continued to get worst until about every other round would not fire.Brought the gun home and tried to duplicate with a snap cap. Tried about 10 times. the trigger worked every time. Does anyone have any idea what would cause this problem on the range.

Bugdust

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried it with several different mags. I do not think mags are the problem. I made a recent change in ammo by increasing the OALfrom .230 to .250. Maybe some of the loads went a little to the high side. Also I noticed that for some reason the slide was stiff and very hard to shuck. I going to load and try some with .230 OAL figuring you are right about being too long. I will be careful to note if the the slide is closed completely if the problem still occurs..

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The reason I changed from 1.230 where I has no problems to 1.250 was the result of ordering a new magazine from Wilson Combat who recommended the 1.250 for 230 gr round nose as the best lenght in the instructions that came with the magazine. Lesson learned- never try to fix anything that is not broke. I checked the reloads left over from the last session. Although I was holding at !.250 some of the reloads were as much as 1.270. How this happened I do not know since I check the lenght every tenth reload. The 1.250 reloads were apparently working OK but the oversized were causing problems. I used the 1.230 because it was recommended by the gunsmith that sold me the gun. He must know some thing that Wilson Combat does not. I am going back to 1.230.The good news is now I know at least one reason why the trigger can not be pulled. Thanks for the help.

bugdust

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Looks like we ran into some issues. Please come back and try again later