Graybeard Outdoors banner

1952 Remington 760 - Finally got to shoot it.

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Loozinit 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

A while back, I submitted a post regarding acquiring a first year of production model 760 Remington in 30-06, in about 98% condition. It came with the original box of Peters ammunition of which only eight had been fired. I couldn't stand it any longer. Last weekend, I went to the range with a friend of mine, who was a longtime rangemaster and has been in the sportingarms business almost forty years. Had to see what the old girl would do.

No high tech rocket science, just a target at 100 yrds., solid rifle rest, and a cement bench and table to shoot from. Shooting conditions were excellent. The original Weaver K4 was sighted in. I am an average shooter at best. (Love the sport but I will never win any bets or trophies). I did a trio of three shot groups, letting the barrel cool between shots. My groups were: 2.5 in., 2.7 in., and 2.5 in. My friend is a much better shooter than I. His groups measured: 1.9 in., 1.9 in., and 2.1 in. I don't know what the new ones will do, but, this one seems to do okay for a standard hunting rifle of its day. My friend wanted to buy this rifle due to its outstanding condition. It wasn't for sale.

It was fun shooting this vintage pump rifle. If any of you have a nice condition old pump, hope you enjoy shooting it as much as I did this one. I don't think I've ever made a better purchase for the dollar. Nice gorgeous walnut, and quality workmanship.

John (Rojo)

See less See more
#2 ·
1952 Remington 760 - Finally got to shoot i

Tom,
I had the feeling the rifle could do better. I used only one type of (older) factory ammunition and used the original K4 that has been on the rifle since it was first sold. A higher power scope (maybe a modern 3-9x40 or 6x) that would be clearer and brighter might have helped in the accuracy dept. as well as different bullet weights and/or hand loads. I don't know.

I read an article today in the Gallery of Guns archive ("Remingtons top five") regarding the evolution of the Remington pump. It said the 760 was a big improvement over the 141. They cited a stronger bolt lock-up, improvements in the receiver and a floating of the barrel was responsible for an increase in accuracy. I just wanted to see what it would do straight up. I'm not going to change a thing on this rifle. It's fiftyone years old, looks new and I'm going to let it age gracefully with the clothes that came on it. I should be so lucky.

Tom, it is good to hear from others who appreciate these fine guns. While I have several recent production rifles and handguns, I also own a few vintage pieces. Nice to hold and look at.

John (Rojo)

#3 ·

You guys are killing me here! I just passed up a nice 760 in 30-06. Someone else didn't. I'll never do that again. Around these parts they give 'em away because no body knows what they are. Everybody seems to use turnbolts. I remember thinking, "nice rifle, but it's not in .300 Savage..." Good grief.

#4 ·

I am definitely now on the hunt for one - maybe I can find a .35 Rem?? I honestly can't figure out why they aren't better represented out here. Western Washington, Western Oregon and Northwest California are super dense forest areas. Seems perfect for the pump - fastest follow-up action there is, I'll bet. As far as accuracy is concerned, I'm certain any 760 will out shoot me.

By the way, I'm mostly a lever-shucker, but I saw on the Remington site that they are offering a "Classic" turnbolt in .300 Savage. Gotta admit some curiosity. Nice looking lines - simple, kinda Ruger-like. I love that cartridge in my old 99.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.