Graybeard Outdoors banner

141 - 160 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
The wheels are cast aluminum and heavy. I needed to have them bead blasted to get all the old crud and paint off.

Here is before and after.

I took apart the axle housing and stripped the paint off. The axle is a piece of 1 1/4" galvanized pipe.

I cleaned up all the iron work down to bare metal. The leveling screw is cast bronze threaded into a brass plate. I only lightly cleaned it up with a piece of steel wool.
There are a number of cast pieces here. The pintle plate, the end caps for the axle housing, the end caps for the axle, the two hooks, the handles, and the capsquares.

As it stands now, the carriage is disassembled and ready for paint. The ironwork has been painted.
I have also put in motion a plan to modify the capsquares to accept proper mounting bolts. As it is right now, you have to totally remove all four hook bolts to take off the capsquares. Those rear bolts hold the axle to the body of the carriage.
It is an an awful lot to go through to remove the barrel. I will fix that.
Zulu

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Beautiful Red

The carriage will be this color.
Zulu

That red is really nice! It matches really well with the black hardware.

Red Ochre? The red I last got mixed just doesn’t pop like yours. That really hits the mark and will go great with this project. Ttt

Attachments

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Barrel stripped and ready for new paint.
With all the paint stripped off, I can see small sections of the parting lines from casting. The rest were ground off flush. Because of the below center trunnions, the barrel had to be sand cast with the trunnions vertical.

The carriage lacked axle bands. I decided it needed them and made a pair. They will be a nice adder to the look of the carriage.

The carriage is receiving it's coat of sealer today. That will be followed by the red paint. I am at the mercy of my lovely assistant's schedule.:tango_face_plain: She does all my paint and stain work.:tango_face_grin:
Zulu

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
I got the machine work done on the capsquares. Now they will accept the proper capsquare bolts and DD won't have to disconnect the entire axle housing to get the capsquares off so he can remove the barrel.:tango_face_wink:
Got the proper bolts finished also but no picture here.

Zulu

Before

After

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
I thought this quote should be brought forward for review:

"Well the carriage is in the hands of the bandsawyer in Houston...he already doesn't like my plan and is making his own plans. I knew it was a mistake to tell him I won the shipboard lottery on my last cruise. Oh well, I still get my Senior citizen discount."

We see the sentence above in Red. Double D. will see red when he sees the the bill from Zulu. Ha, only kidding. He is going to get lots of value from the wood whittler in Houston, err Cypress, TX just as we have on numerous occasions!

In Blue above, Don't bet on it! However, from the looks of it, Zulu is using his superior talents do what is known among gunsmiths as an impossible task, turning a sow's ear into a silk purse. Mike and I saw the originals that this gun was based on, firing at Fort William Henry on Lake George in New York State several years ago.

Tracy and Mike

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
"turning a sow's ear into a silk purse":tango_face_grin:

Finished!
I'm happy with it.
I think adding the axle bands and the proper rigging rings really added to the picture.:tango_face_wink:

The capsquare bolt conversion worked!

Zulu

141 - 160 of 179 Posts