Graybeard Outdoors banner

161 - 179 of 179 Posts

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Wow does that look nice. I assume the “come and take it” was directed at Douglas, otherwise you might see me at your door!

·
Super Moderator
16,693 Posts
Bring enough "Benjamins" and I'll just call it unclaimed merchandise.:tango_face_wink:
Zulu

Actually as there is with all things, there is an element of truth in that statement...Remember my Dom Dictator, still FOB Edmond, OK 50 Benjamin's. Since Lapan is taller and heavier and has a "Custom carriage by artist Michael Elledge" how about 80 Benjamins FOB where it sits.

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
Actually as there is with all things, there is an element of truth in that statement...Remember my Dom Dictator, still FOB Edmond, OK 50 Benjamin's. Since Lapan is taller and heavier and has a "Custom carriage by artist Michael Elledge" how about 80 Benjamins FOB where it sits.

Any further bidding will be limited to increments of "Grants".:tango_face_wink:
Zulu

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #170
It has been a long while since I have been here. I’m glad it went to a good home. Great work on the cannon revival!
Stay healthy everyone

·
Registered
12 Posts
Wow heck of a history just in this cannon. Fine work by all on this. Not my "caliber" of things but was and is very educational. So thanks to all on this project.

·
Super Moderator
16,693 Posts
One thing I have discovered since Michael rebuilt the carriage,, oak is heavier than pine/fir. This is a heavy gun, now about he limit of one man operation. Moving it on its carriage is fine. Dismounting the barrel is a two person operation.

It is an awesome blank shooter. I still need to find some place to live fire it.

Before restoration

After Restoration

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
All things come to those who are patient, Double D. I personally know two gentlemen who live in Broomfield, Colorado who would love to have you and Lady Jane as guests after you complete your travels to the Victorian Rifle shoot in Pennsylvania this year. I believe you told me that you planned on taking the Lapan's Foundry Cannon with you, so upon your return to the western part of our great country, you could make a short detour and have a hearty invite to fire it at our exclusive 1,200 Yard Shooting Range near Pawnee Buttes in North Eastern Colorado on BLM land. We have newly made, lightweight, target frames that are easily carried out to 300 yards which is a standard range for such a fine gun. Or you could fire it at 50 and 100 yards also. Your choice. Our range has a 200-foot high hill at 3,400 yards for a backstop. The land rises gently only 60 feet as it reaches this distance. Only five miles away are Pawnee Buttes. They are a unique photographic opportunity.

There is a nice 1/2 mile long trail leading to the buttes from a parking lot for convenience. Many people have found authentic Indian arrowheads near these buttes as well. A friend of mine told me that they are a landmark for general aviation also and that he has used them many times as such when flying northeast from Denver. Up close they are truly spectacular!

Tracy

Pawnee Buttes

Reactions: Ex 49er

·
Super Moderator
16,693 Posts
I actually remember reading this, so why did I not respond. I do not know.

Tracy since talking to you last we have pretty much decide we are not going to The Victorian Rifleman Gathering this fall. We are for sure going to To the 20th Anniversary British Militaria Shoot in Springtown in March 2022.

We have had a event in our life and things have got disrupted. Great-Grandson was born two weeks ago in Minnesota. As soon as daughter can get a list for her covid shot I think we will be headed north. We normally just go north on I-35 until we get there.

Now going south on I-35, headed home from Minnesota, if I made a right turn on to I-80 at Des Moines and head west--I do need to go to Hornaday, its along the way to the intersection of of I-80 and I-76. Which should get me in the area of a motel at Ft. Morgan. Could go shooting from there and then head on into the Seacoast Artillery Manufactory for a "dog and pony show", before heading on to Edmond.

I have been wanting to go down to Whittington Center and talk with the NRA about using a range to put on the 20th Anniversary cannon shoot. So I could divert to there and spend the night and then head back in to Edmond.

Tracy this idea is on the table. sorry for not responding sooner.

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
Sounds good to me, Double D. Further discussion on this topic will probably be better done by phone. I will call you soon. Thank you.

Tracy

·
Registered
4,556 Posts
I have not forgotten and I remember that you mentioned that you show them how to do it. Now there is real leadership. I would have expected nothing less from you!

Tracy

161 - 179 of 179 Posts