Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next step, a ball mould.

A company in UK has offered to make a mould lets see if it happens.

While it was in the hands of world famous cannon artiste` Michael, I should have had him fabricate a hitch pin for a 2" receiver hitch so we can pull this round the neighborhood with the golf cart, during the 4th of July. Can you still, Michael?

·
7,042 Posts
The mould is meehanite so I can't weld directly to the mould. [.i]

How about using Everdur (silicon bronze)?

·
Super Moderator
16,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm not sure I follow you George. Do you mean make the mould from Everdur? I already have the mould, it is made of meehanite.

I did just find this:

Welding
Meehanite castings may be welded by means of the electric arc using a steel or alloy rod, or special cast iron rod, or by gas, using cast iron, Meehanite or bronze rods. It is recommended that in gas welding, pre-heating of the casting (or at least of the parts to be welded) should be done to a dull red heat. Allow to cool slowly after welding. For more information, refer to Bulletin No. 59–Welding Meehanite.
So it seems I can arc weld my vise grips to this mould. Would you agree?

·
7,042 Posts
I would think a hinged mount would be better than a rigid mount. It would allow the mould halves to align more freely. Also, the hinges could be screw mounted instead of welded.

·
Super Moderator
16,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I decided to split this conversation out of the Lapan cannon post is it is not strictly generic to the Lapan.

Glenn Mcquire of LEM in UK is the maker of this mould. A badgered him a bit into making this mould. I am in the process as you can see from the discussion so far, of coming up with a set of mould handles.

Glenn has strongly advised against welding in any form meehanite, he says it will crack. I will follow his advice.

My current idea is to cut out a disk of mild steel and attach via drilling and tapping to the mould. The disk would be then welded to the hinged pads of the vice grips.

Any comments on that Idea?

·
7,042 Posts
That should work well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts