Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about doing something dumb, and wanted to get a little feedback before I thought any more. Has anyone out there ever tried a factory 20" TC .460 Katahdin barrel on a pistol platform. Yea, I know that it will go bang, but is feasable with bipod or a bench set-up for hunting? Also, can you use the peep sights with a proper hold without getting a fresh barrel crease on your forehead? I really dont want another scope, and I have some limitations with open sights.

The .460 would allow me to start out with .45 LC, work up to 454, and then if I eat my Wheaties, maybe even .460's. All repies are welcome, I have thick skin.

·
Registered
73 Posts
ya it will work, probably would be more comfortable than a traditional pistol length 460 barrel. You can use peeps sights on a handgun at arms length. I had a 23" carbine barrel in 375 JDJ that I used as a pistol sometimes. Worked well and was very accurate.

·
Premium Member
1,104 Posts
woodchukhntr said:
You had better check on BATF rules. You will have, in effect, a long pistol or a short rifle, and the definition is not up to you. You might be getting in trouble with the law
i called the ATF in Illinois good to go in my state i think N/Y has some thing that you cant hunt with a barrel over 15" ATF #630-725-5290

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Legal in my state (OR). Agent stated that the only restriction was for too short of a barrel on a rifle. As long as it has a pistol grip, it is OK. Now, I just have to decide if I can handle a .460.

·
Registered
669 Posts
My question would be: Why would one want a 20 inch barrel on a handgun????????????
I have some that are around 16 inches with brake and I think they are long.
Is there something I am missing?
I realize that it could be for the WOW factor when drug out at the range or just for the giggles but other than that what could be the motivation?
Just wondering as I might want to do it one day. If there is really a positive side to it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Already own a 16" .260, what is 4 more inches?

One positive side is price. A quick search found $300 through Eabco, with the peep already included.

A 15" standard taper barrel with rear ramp sight is a little bit cheaper, but then I would still have to install the rear peep. And, I'm a bit concerned of the muzzle flip with a 15" and standard taper.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Four inches is twenty five percent longer. I guess in the grand scheme of things it is no big deal.
I just wondered.
It doesn't hurt to learn anything when it comes to guns. I thought maybe there was more to your desire to go longer. Maybe something I would want to entertain for myself.
I guess for me fifteen or sixteen is long enough. Really twelve is nice.
I have been toying with the idea of shortening my Encore fifteen inch 45/70 barrel to maybe twelve or maybe ten.
But that is just me.

·
Premium Member
2,431 Posts
I have a 16 1/4" .35 Remington barrel on my Contender carbine. This is almost as easy to carry as a long-barreled handgun and much faster to get into action. I don't know when a handgun becomes too large to easily handle, but my experiences with Super 14 barrels on my Contender pistol have shown me that they are way too large for me. When I have to use a large, clunky holster or put a sling on the handgun, it's too large. When I can't hold it in 2 hands and keep it steady enough for a 25 yd. shot, it's too large.

·
Premium Member
2,804 Posts
I recently asked an Indiana CO about an 18" barrel on a handgun legality. Here is his reply.

IC 35-47-1-6
"Handgun"
Sec. 6. "Handgun" means any firearm:
(1) designed or adapted so as to be aimed and fired from one (1) hand, regardless of barrel length; or
(2) any firearm with:
(A) a barrel less than sixteen (16) inches in length; or
(B) an overall length of less than twenty-six (26) inches.
As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32

In order to put an 18" barrel on the firearm and it still be considered a handgun, you have to be able to 'aim' and fire it with ONE hand. I believe this is intended to be without any support or assistance in maintaining muzzle control. If the firearm with an 18" barrel could not be aimed accurately with one hand. It would then NOT meet the definition given above.
Lonny

·
Registered
323 Posts
If it would of meant unsupported why would it say "designed or adapted" to be fired one handed? If they meant unsupported, they would of said unsupported. If it is 26 inches or less in total length it should not matter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.