Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How did every body do?
Mine was was a bust, first off the weather was dry and hot majority of the season. and the Buck I did see were dandy ones but they would not offer me a decent a shot. The land owner has build a bigger pond this year (now we just need more rain), and planted hay field righ next to my tree stand this might make it beter for me.
I do know there will plenty of bucks running there next year no one was out there with rifle that I seen in the neighborhood anyhow it was pretty quite.

·
Registered
41 Posts
deer hunting

Even with the lack or rain this year our mass was the best I've ever seen! you couldn't take a step without stepping on a hand full of acorns..It kind of made it hard to hunt . the deer didn't have to move around much at all...But I was able still to take my 1st. traditional deer. It was a small doe but I worked hard toget it and had more fun than I ever did with a compound...

·
Registered
70 Posts
I took 1 mule deer doe and one cow elk. My employer(Lockheed-Martin) allows us to hunt on the company property(approx. 3500 acres). They gave us special permits to hunt thru Feb. 28th because they detected CWD in the area, and they wanted to get some statistical data. Some of the other guys got 7 deer allready, but I'm not greedy, and I'm out of freezer space. It's been a great year.

Cheers!
SoftPoint

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I read an article published in a newspaper it stated to refrain from eating known CWD tainted meat and avoid contact with bone marrow and Brain tissue from animals . It also recomended you have your animal de-boned at the butcher shop to keep from tainting your meet.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Good 2002

Boy this is great to see this site. Been visiting GB for a while for handgun data, but this commradery is super.

Had a great '02. Since the part of PA where I live is a 'special regualtions area', most of my hunting is with a bow (Black Widow SA III).

The spot I mostly hunt is a horse farm for a retired exec. Loaded with Whitetails. Took two nice doe there. Didn't get close to a shooter buck. At another local spot, I took a nice 6 point the week before the close of the regular season. There was a super 10 pt. running around but I ran out of time. Took a turkey two days after the buck on the same spot with my widowmaker.

All in all, I wound up with five deer, 3 with a bow, 1 with my TC Contender and one with the flintlock. It was fun and lots of my friends enjoyed some of the venison.

·
Registered
70 Posts
To Single Fan

Single Fan,
I am formally from PA. Moved here to Colorado in '95. I was also in a special regs area. Bucks County, near Levittown. Where ya from?

Cheers!
SoftPoint

·
Registered
70 Posts
Part of the deal to get the special deer license is you have to submit the head for free CWD testing. It it comes back positive, You better get rid of the meat. The D.O.W. will reimburse your processing cost plus give you another tag. So far 2 out of 40 deer had a positive.

Cheers!
SoftPoint

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hey Softpoint

I live in Doylestown. My hunting partner on the farm here in Solebury is from Forsythia Gate.

How's Colorado? I lived in Oregon for 4 years and miss it every elk season.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I used to hunt on Haycock mtn., The state game land there by Nockamixon. I did very well there, and I had no company. Been thru good ole Doylestown many times. I had to see the Sheriff there to get my CCW permit. It was $12 for 5 years back then. Colorado is good. It's a bowhunters paradise. Elk,Moose, bear,Pronghorn, muleys, and whitetails. Gonna try turkey with my bow this year. Good Luck and Good hunting in Pa.!!!!

Cheers!
SoftPoint

·
Registered
143 Posts
SP...That's a Neat Connection

I hunt the same area. Problem is there are now way more hunters than deer in Nockamixon. Someone got shot there last year (from all accounts it was intentional). So I stay away from the place.

How long is the archery season in CO?

·
Registered
70 Posts
30 day archery season for elk and mule deer in the mountains. September is the elk rut....very exciting. October thru december for whitetails in the eastern part of the state. All plains areas, very little trees, except on the river bottoms, but ****, thats where the deer are. Mid August thru mid-September for Pronghorn. Bear season coinsides with the elk archery season, Moose season-two weeks in October.

Cheers!
SoftPoint

·
Registered
11 Posts
2002 Deer Season

2002 was the most frustrating deer season I have ever experienced. I spent a week in WV ans saw over 100 deer. But the only one I saw in the field with my bow in my hand was the doe I helped my son trail and drag out on the first morning of our hunt.

WV experienced a sever frost in May 2002 and the mast for all practical purposes was nonexistant. The vast majority of deer we saw were feeding in the fields at all times of the day. And we saw some real bruisers!! Unfortunately, it was impossible to get close with the bow.

Bill

1 - 13 of 13 Posts