Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:D Okay all you sourdoughs here's the deal. Uncle Sam only sent me up to Anchorage for a 2-year tour. My first six months are gone -- I hunted moose and black bear unsuccessfully :( ...but had a great time. :grin: I hunt for the experience and fun but have to be honest here -- I really want to leave Alaska with a memory that I can put on my wall. My wife's a Florida girl and she's made it clear that if I retire in Alaska...she's gonna miss me but I can visit :-D . Here's what I'm planning and I'm looking for any advice at all from "go here instead" to "yep, that oughta do it:" Feb 9 I'm flying out with Natron Air for a one day caribou hunt -- doesn't really count for the "memory on the wall" but I do love game meat and successful or not it'll certainly be an adventure. In the Spring (May?), a couple guys from work have invited me on a baited black bear hunt near Valdez. From 10-20 Sept, assuming I'm not deployed to the Middle East again (did two 6-month tours already) I'm going with another fella from work to a spot just a little south of Fairbanks for moose. I'm also thinking about a registration hunt near Girdwood (sorta) for mountain goat, but I hear the snow, or lack thereof, can be a factor. I figure to wrap up my tour with a Spring fly-out for brown bear in Spring '04 -- where would you suggest? I'll take any hints, suggestions, advice, or just plain discussion.

Oh yeah, my boss says I should go to the Pentagon next :evil: or San Antonio. I'm thinking one of the HQ's in Tampa -- whaddya think?

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Matt - invitation from ex-military

I am a little out of the loop over here in Valdez right now for hunting. I will spring bear hunt and do deer in August. If you want to do a trip out of Valdez for halibut any time during the open season give me a hollar. Silvers start at the beginning of August so there is a possibility there too. I am just finding my around with the hunting over here. I really wish I was back in the bush! I miss the 150 miles caribou hunts and excitement of possibly killing myself. It sure makes the days more interesting! :lol:

·
Registered
563 Posts
You might have much better success for goat near Valdez. Goats are much more numerous and easier to pin point there. Goats near Portage are fairly widespread and can be hard to hunt in a limited time frame. Areas on the Kenai, like Ptarmigan Lake, are good, but you have to be lucky enough to get drawn. Day Harbor out of Seward holds several goats, and some really good billies. Just for what its worth.

A moose hunt float trip down the Tanana is a pretty good bet if you hunt in the sloughs on the south side. Black bear in the Sound is good, just about anywhere. Look into renting one of the USFS cabins for a nice dry place to sleep during the hunt. Avoid areas like Hinchinbrook and Montague for black bears, too many big brownies around there, unless they are your target. There are quite a few black bears around Girdwood and Portage, all along the mountains down to Seward. Easy access and plenty of bears.

·
Premium Member
3,942 Posts
I've heard Natron is an ok operator - he's been around a while. We have been having real mild weather out in Bristol Bay I hope the lakes are frozen enough to land on. I assume you're headed out this way for caribou. Haven't heard a thing about where the animals are but the weather has beeen real easy on them. You might want to be sure to have water proof foot gear and watch out for thin ice and overflow. Winter hunts can be real nice - no bugs or bears and its easier to keep the meat clean and cool. Keep an eye peeled for wolves too - you might want to have a tag with you if you need one - I forget the regs for them.
I'd say the winter hunt is a good idea just be careful of the weather - it can switch so fast.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DaveintheBush,
I'd love to join you on a halibut and/or silvers trip sometime. I caught some halibut with my daughter this past summer and they are some awesome eating. I tried unsuccessfully to fish for silvers but to be fair it was combat fishing on Shipp Creek and it was more dangerous adventure than fishing -- fish hooks flying everywhere and a whole lot more snaggin' than catchin' goin' on. If I could make it down when would you recommend?
Matt

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
if i where to go hunting in alaska what would the rules and regs be for a canadian?

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Jack is correct.

Jack is correct, you would need a lisenced guide.

Sorry! I don't agree with all the regs. Do you have any unmarried daughters? Then you would be kin folk and it might be different!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
since i'm only 19, even if i had a daughter she would be a little young for your likes!! :)

·
Premium Member
1,732 Posts
Darn

Got to be a way to get some women up here in AK. Maybe some mail order brides.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:D This has almost nothing to do with anything but reminds me of a funny "mail order bride" joke we pulled on a lieutenant some 15 years ago. This young fella was unmarried but looking around the typical Abilene, TX bars for companionship. We got a copy of a 'Cherry Blossoms' mail order bride catalog and got him a subscription....mailed to the unit orderly that distributes the mail. Within hours of the first catalog's arrival everyone in the 400 man unit was convinced the lieutenant was shopping for love.... :-D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Come on Dave, you know there are good women up here. Although its nothing like Daytona beach (I wish we had daytona up here :( ). I latched onto a taxidermist and I keep her drunk so she will stay with me :grin: )

1 - 12 of 12 Posts