Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the local dealer has some 2007 F150's for under $14000. I guess they are "plain jane" with V6. Are they any good? Will they pull a bass boat?

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
yeah they will. its the basic "work truck" i had an ford explorer that had the same motor in it and i pulled a large camper with it and it was larger than this bass boat. the only thing i had to do was get a sway bar because of the short wheel base of the explorer. but you wouldn't have that problem out of the F150. The explorer was the sport edition. it would be a good investment or you could get a used truck with a larger motor and basically loaded just a few years old like a dodge ram 2500 diesel loaded with 100000 miles for right at $13000. I got it because that is low mileage for a diesel. I can put about 450000 miles on it with no problem just keep your eyes open but if you want new look into Nissan too

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 30-06 man. I wonder if these v-6 are giving any problems? Sticker say's 21 mpg. That's not bad for a fullsize. Any one here own one?

I like the Cummings too. I wonder which would be cheaper to own as I probably would keep it 10 years?

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Sticker say's 21 mpg. That's not bad for a fullsize. Any one here own one?
LIARS! The county owns a bunch of the new F150's with the V6, average MPG is a whopping 13 :eek: they are some seriously thirsty trucks! as with any newer truck the v6 is a good bargain price wise but don't expect a V6 powered fullsize truck to get any better MPG than a V8 equipped truck.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
krochus said:
Sticker say's 21 mpg. That's not bad for a fullsize. Any one here own one?
LIARS! The county owns a bunch of the new F150's with the V6, average MPG is a whopping 13 :eek: they are some seriously thirsty trucks! as with any newer truck the v6 is a good bargain price wise but don't expect a V6 powered fullsize truck to get any better MPG than a V8 equipped truck.
Thank's Kronus. That's what I wanted to hear. I had a v6 ford back in the early 90's and it was terrible on gas and always in a strain. I sold it for that reason. I wondered how much they had improved since.

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
I am more of a chevy man but both of my v6 half tons have gotten 20 or better on the highway.
Not really better than a V8 but they were cheaper to buy.

I still have one of them 1996 k1500 5 speed.

By the way a 90s ford was probably the I6 an yes was terrable on gas.
The new V6 is a totaly different motor.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, it was a v6. They made the I-6 at the same time and it was much more popular and more powerful.

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
The engine in question is the 4.2 v-6 that is used in the vans and f-150. The explorer had a 4.0 and that was something different all together. The 4.2 is a bored out Taurus 3.8 that was put into service to replace the I-6. It has 210hp and about 265lb of torque if I remember. The 5 speed manual that it is sometimes mated to it is made by Mazda. The engine has been notorious for leaking head gaskets as was the 3.8 in the Taurus. It was not designed for heavy towing or heavy duty use. The 97-99 were the worst but I don't think they have ever fixed the problem. It has enough power to move loads but the 4.6 v-8 is more durable and a much better motor with the same power and gas mileage.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now that is good info. Thank you 30-30!

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Yeah, the 4.6 is a much better deal and you could probably find one for the same price as the 4.2. Make sure you get the 3:55 rear or lower. Stay away from the 3:08 Ford offers, it's not built for nothing but good gas mileage and miserable towing performance. Any motor would feel weak behind that high of a gear. I've seen many 4.6's with over 200,000 miles on them and the original transmission. The 4.2 with time will have the notorious missing coolant and when you pull the oil filler cap or drain the oil, you find out where it all is going. Some have had good experiences with the 4.2 but the 4.6 is much better. If you are looking for a v-6 work truck, look at the Chevy's. If you can stiill find one with the 4.3 it will outlast you. I would have a 4.3 before the 4.8 v-8 they offer. The Dodge has the 3.7 and can't be recommended as it is underpowered.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
i like the Cummins mine gets about 20mpg highway and around 18 city. i haven't had any problems other than the fuel injector pump. its loud and powerful. when driving a diesel try to not turn it off much. if you turn it off and on it uses more diesel than if you leave it idling. so its best to try to leave it running. durning the cold months you may want to plug it up it keeps the block warm.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I used to own a 97 f150 w/ the 4.2L. If they haven't changed it, don't buy it. It is a very underpowered motor for the size of truck. I had the 5 speed tranny and was always downshifting to 4th on the freeway anytime I hit a small incline. That was with no load and only me driving! I did have a problem w/ the anti-lock brake system but the dealer took care of it. Other than those 2 things it was an alright truck. I did get it stuck a couple times(once in mud,once in snow), since then, I only buy 4x4. I agree with the dodge cummins ideas. I used to work at aplace called Columbus Diesel in Columbus,OH rebuilding diesel injection pumps. All the top mechanics there drove Dodge Cummins 2500's, and swore buy them. They are great trucks and have been known to run alot of miles. I'm debating of whether to buy a new truck next year or go with a used Dodge Cummins myself.

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
The main thing to think about is what are your needs now and in the future. Most of us drive more truck than we will ever need. Finances play the biggest role. You don't want to be truck poor, spending all your money on payments and have no money for anything else. Many of us don't think twice about signing the papers promising to pay $700 a month for the next six years. When hard times hit, the truck is the first thing to go but most of the time, it's impossible. The owner owes more on the truck than it's worth.
The only thing about a diesel is the price initially and maintenance. The fuel cost more, oil changes, and repairs as well. Many of us don't need a diesel as I have nothing but 1/2 tons (Dodge) to pull and haul my stuff. I have two large campers (24ft & 27ft w/slide), boat, two large trailers that haul around my Massey Ferguson, Ford, and Farmall. I've never needed a diesel to pull those weights. Most gas engines now will go to 250,000 miles before needing a rebuild. I know most diesels will go over a million miles but how long do most of us keep a truck anyway? The average price of most diesels I've seen new range in the $40's, you can buy two gas 1/2 tons for that. I have to admit the sound is cool and I wish I had one. If you own one, I'm jelous as I love the sound and attention more than anything else.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
i paid $13,000 for my cummins diseal. it was in basically new shape, had 90,000 miles and it had new tires and breaks. It has a quad cab and a slight lift no leather. the orginal owner paid $45,000 for it but i got it cheap at the chevy dealership. also its a 1999 model. my payments aren't that high and i got it 3 yrs ago. other than the injector pump i had to replace the tires this year but thats normal. its cheaper to leave it idling if you can because it uses way more fuel to start it than to leave it running. as far as it goes i will not need another truck for a long time. i might get something like a ranger to take out in the woods or something. something as a backup if fuel goes to high and to take hunting or get through the snow because mines not a 4wd. if your not planing long term then its not really a truck for you just look at how bad the orginal owner lost although he was rich. diseal went up a lot because winter is here and it gets used more. i pay $3 a gallon and fill up both tanks on the truck and it lasts me about 3 weeks

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have been looking at the Dodge cummings. The are pretty high $, so I guess a lot of folks are looking at them. I am thinking if I go that route, I might as well get a 3500. Insurance and tag are way cheaper for a 1 ton farm truck in AL. I have a ranger 4.0 now and the mpg is about the same for a lot more truck with the cummings.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
you can't ever go wrong buying used. diesels will last a life time so its about all the truck you will need. thats why theres not many used ones

·
Registered
226 Posts
New diesel trucks are pricey, but you can get a good deal on the used ones. I have been looking at new mid-size and 1/2 ton pick-ups and really not that impressed. A new Nissan Frontier or Dodge Dakota will run in the high 20's(x $1000) and still get less than 20 mpg. The 1/2 tons are worse, my buddies Dodge 1500 w/ Hemi only averages 14mpg (combined city and freeway). A Dodge 2500 w/ the Cummins will get over 20+ mpg(highway) with the right diff. gearing( 3.73 diff. will give good fuel economy, the 4.10 diff. will limit you to about 17-18mpg). An oil change cost more, but really the only 2 things that go bad on a diesel are the injectors and fuel pump. On a gas motor you have a whole ignition system(spark plugs, plug wires, ign module, cam position sensor, coil) and the extra sensors(IAT,MAP,TPS,etc.) that have to do with fuel/air ratios(not a problem on diesels). There are trade-offs, and yes it comes down to what you want/need. But until the auto makers can make a V-6 that gets better gas mileage than the V-8, or a V-8 that gets better mileage than a diesel, I will think of the diesel as an option.

·
Registered
226 Posts
In my last post I left out that diesels do have boost press. sensors and turbos, but are fairly reliable unless you bump up the performance of the truck(increase boost press.)

·
Registered
7,461 Posts
On another post here in the truck/suv I mentioned I had just bought an E-150, with the small v-8(4.6 I believe) Well, after almost 2 months, every time I check it, I'm getting between 18-20 MPG. Thats loaded with about 1500-1700 lbs of gun show stuff. I have a 3.55 gear ratio in the rear end, which really helps, and I usually hold my speed to under 70.(try to keep it at 65, but this van wants to run) I believe that you'll get better mileage with a small v-8 than a six cylinder, as it doesn't have to work as hard, and the rear end ratio is a major factor. But then if I was pulling a trailer, I'ld probably have to lock out overdrive, and that would kill the gas mileage too. gypsyman

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Diesel is now $3.25 a gallon now in my area compared to $2.83 for gas. I can't see how the mileage thing works out to an advantage of diesel. You may get more mileage but the fuel cost on average .35 more. I average 16-17 mpg in my dodge hemi 4wd and I do not have the cylinder shut off thing on my 2004. I can't tow as much as a diesel but then I have no need. I have yet to understand why diesel fuel cost more? Doesn't it require less refining than gasoline? That is the biggest reason I have never swung over to diesel. The other thing is the engine my last you a lifetime but the rest of the truck won't. If the price of a diesel would be resonable, then I'd consider it. I hope you find what you are looking for.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts