Graybeard Outdoors banner

2010 Deer Hunting Thoughts

3K views 29 replies 19 participants last post by  myronman3 
#1 ·
I was wondering what people thought of the deer proposal. I myself am not in favor of a 16 day gun season. I wouldn't mind so much if it was the week after Thanksgiving, not the week before. I know my hunting party would be split some going the first week and some the second.

The proposed season framework includes:

1. November firearm season - Statewide 16-day beginning two Saturdays prior to the Thanksgiving holiday. CWD zone would use the same dates. Season would be the normal bucks plus variable quota system.
2. Archery seasons - Open statewide on the Saturday closest to September 15 and continues through the Thursday immediately prior to November firearm season. Statewide season reopens on first day of the November gun season and continuing through the second Sunday in January. In herd-control units, the archery season would continue through January 31. Bonus buck incentive (see below) for all hunters beginning December 26 through January 31 in herd control units. CWD zone would use the same dates.
3. Youth season - Statewide 5-day either-sex season beginning the second Saturday in October. Saturday through Wednesday. Dates will be the same as 4. and 5.
4. Early muzzleloader season - Statewide 5-day, antlerless-only by permit beginning the second Saturday in October. Saturday through Wednesday. Dates will be the same as 3. and 5.
5. October herd control firearm seasons - Herd control units only. 5-day, antlerless-only season beginning the second Saturday in October. CWD October season would use same dates. Saturday through Wednesday. Dates will be the same as 3. and 4.
6. October herd control firearm seasons in the Kettle Moraine State Forest - When October herd control seasons are held on lands that are part of the Kettle Moraine State Forest, the five-day season on Kettle Moraine State Forest property will begin on the Thursday nearest October 27.
7. Late muzzleloader season - Statewide 7-day season beginning the Monday immediately following the November firearm season (Bucks plus quota). CWD zone would use the same dates.
8. December firearm season - Central Forest & Farmland zones. 4-day, antlerless-only season beginning the Thursday immediately following the late muzzleloader season. Appropriate antlerless permit required. CWD zone would use the same dates.
9. Holiday herd control firearm season - Central Forest & Farmland zones. Herd control units only, 10-day antlerless season with a bonus buck incentive beginning December 26th.
10. CWD zone - same dates as outlined above.
11. Bonus Buck Incentive - Hunters harvesting an antlerless deer in herd control units after December 25th will receive a bonus buck tag valid through the end of all deer seasons.
12. Public land tags - Herd control units only - Herd control tags will be specific to public or private lands. Public land tags will be limited based on the proportion of deer range under state, county, or federal ownership within herd control units.

See less See more
#2 ·
WOW! Sounds like they want a drastic thinning out. Just curios, when is your main rut dates?
Here in Ohio it is usally mid Nov. No guns at anytime during the main rut. They started the 2 week thing around 8 yr. ago. It lasted, I think for 3 or 4 yrs. give or take on my numbers. What I noticed was the decline of hunters down in Wayne National Forest. When it was 1 week, there were hunters coming out of the woodwork all week long. Harvesting a deer was easy, always being on the move with the hunting pressure.
That pressure decreased with the 2 week hunt. Guys were now only coming down for 2 weekends rather then spending a week at a time. I don't think it had any real effect on the kill ratio but I believe it had an effect on the local economy. Restaurant's an motel's an such.
Now it has been decreased back to 7 day slug gun, with an added 2 day gun a couple weeks later. Still only 1 buck per season, thank god.

#3 ·
I think the herd control numbers/tags are a bit high, but I like longer seasons. What Wisconsin needs is a Separate buck tag for muzzle loader only, and a separate season for this. Most of the western states do this.

Cheese

#4 ·
Sounds kinda complicated and not real serious about herd reduction compared to what we've had a long time. Bow season opens Oct. 15 closes Jan. 31. Gun season opens Saturday before Thanksgiving closes Jan. 31. Last week before gun season and last two weeks of January are a muzzle loader season but in reality offer nothing to the mix since hunting is underway with bow the first week and still with guns the last two.

You can take one buck or one buck and one doe or two does per day. A couple years back they did lower buck harvest to three per season prior to that had been one per day all season long. We can also take five turkeys.

#5 ·
How does anything else even get done in Alabama?? :)

I read over the WI 2010 proposals and it seems almost like one continuous season from Oct to Dec. I'm lucky to see 8-10 deer per gun season, let alone open everything up to reduce the herd even more. In the field observation says the herd is well below hunter's optimal levels---however, the insurance lobby is happy.

I like the idea of more days afield, but if there's nothing there, what's the benefit?
Might be time to road trip down to Alabama for the Thanksgiving week ;)

#6 ·
It stinks.I am not a muzzle loader, but Imagine being a serious muzzle load hunter and going out the week after a sixteen day regular gun hunt, your only chance at a buck, it is hard enough for those hunters now. Youth hunt for five days...right, have the kids skip school for three days? I love bow hunting and am fortunate that we have a long season, but for me the best bow hunting has always been the first two weeks of November. I am not at all in favor of a sixteen day rifle season. They should have done this five years ago for one season only if they were going to do it at all. Now after all of these antler less kills the last few years the herd is down already. I live in the far north of the state and trust me in another year or two my odds of killing a wolf during deer season may be higher than killing a deer.

#8 ·
mirage1988 said:
Thats why they are doing it- knock the deer herd down to a level that the wolves can handle it, guess what? there are no more reasons wisconsin residents need guns! Why do you think wolves were re-introduced in the first place?
Now, that right there, is funny. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cheese

#10 ·
I would love a longer season if they would quit giving out 10 doe tags per sq. mile. What is wrong with one buck per season and a doe or buck every other season? We shot way too many deer the last ten years. I will shoot one deer per year now for the rest of my life. I don't need any more. I might just hunt for a trophy for the first time in my life. My 12 yr. old got a big doe in youth hunt and I still got meat from two years ago. I just want more time in the woods.

#11 ·
I think the 16 day hunt should extend past thanksgiving and not before it!

#12 ·
Cheesehead said:
What Wisconsin needs is a Separate buck tag for muzzle loader only, and a separate season for this. Most of the western states do this.

Cheese

and like many other states, we need a handgun season that runs concurrent with the muzzleloader season. I ain't keen on the idea that the youth hunt runs concurrent with the early antlerless and the early muzzleloader season......kinda takes away from the idea of a ''youth only'' hunt, which is what made it so great in the past.

#14 ·
Hey Guys,
I know most of the state has to thin out but up in Vilas where I hunt I wish they would really pair back.

Whether it is wolves or weather, one way or another there has been a DRASTIC reduction in deer numbers up north! I personally would like to see them eliminate Doe tags all together for 2-3 yrs in my unit. It would be a large sacrifice for a few years but I think the payoff would be worth it to restore the herd.

As far as a 16 day season, I also agree that for most of the state would be a good thing but should definitely be AFTER, but my personal taste would be for a 365 day unlimited WOLF season. I think the opener during Thanksgiving week works well since most people have holidays and if they moved opening day it would complicate many many years of tradition at thousands of deer camps all over the state.

I would like to see an early black powder season. I would also like to see them expand the late blackpowder season to include other "disadvantaged" (for lack of a better word) methods being crossbows and open sighted handguns.

Just my personal wish list.

#16 ·
16 day starting a week before the traditional start is a proposal doomed to falure from the start. Read the word tradirional again. They do die hard. To sit "4 days" straight and NOT see a shootable deer for way to many years now, in places that traditional have at least shown success of racked bucks not to mention the sight of the best bait of all, DOES, one tends to get somewhat discouraged. Ain't no way anybodies going out more or less than they did before, albiet, if your on your own property one might take a hour after work and take a walk. Doomed to failure is what the DNR is banking on, it's all about placing blame, not on them but you, the hunter for not implementing their stragetic mismanagement ideals.
Youth hunt, early & late muzzleloader hunt, couple of things there. Anybody??? 5 days saturday to wednesday. Someone touched upon it with the youth, taking school off?, realistically you are still ONLY hunting for two days on each of those proposed seasons, Sat & Sun. Another proposal doomed to failure. I am very critical of the liberal diseased DNR, as it is ALL politically motivated. I never used to be that way, there was a happier time for me, then I started to relize how much politics play an unhealthy role in our day to day lives, and started reading & listening, reading between the lines that is, as I was reading it as printed by the agenda driven, criminal liberal media. So my happy go lucky ways pretty much went all to ****. Knowledge is beneficial, but it can also be a slap in the face of reality.
Sounds complicated? not really serious? you nailed it Graybeard. Unless you've followed it for all these, kill em at all cost,(we the DNR ,get the money) seasons, you cannot even imagine how they mismanaged the herd for the almighty dollar. The part that really pisses me off though, is the fact that they DO NOT listen, sound familiar, Liberal politics as usual, they'll do whats right for them not you, I, or more importantly, the herd. Hang on for a bumpy ride fella's, it's going to get a whole lot worse way before it gets better! CRASH87
WOLVES? DON'T EVEN GET ME STARTED!

#17 ·
Crash,

There is a lot of sense in what you said. My dad has had that same view for years. I think a lot of us haven't paid much attention but we should start....

It does seem that the almighty dollar is most important to the WI DNR from the signs I have seen in the past years...

LM

#18 ·
Fathers are wise, wouldn't you agree. A lot of us haven't paid attention, but no excuse there, it is just the way it is. While I did and also, came pretty close to predicting the state of the deer herd because of it, it takes numbers to get on board and do something BEFORE it deteriorates to the point it has. After we see that a problem excists then, it is usually to late. Human nature I guess, BUT, you just have to love that hindsight. Good luck on the hunt, We are all going to need it, especially us public land hunters. CRASH87

#19 ·
Honestly crash I think the DNR is cutting their own throat. We are going to be down this year and next on hunting tags. This will help reduce the harvest and will help you and me because the slob hunter just might skip guying a tag and stay in the bar where he belongs. Wishful thinking? Maybe .As far as I'm concerned they can raise the cost of a tag a few bucks in hopes that the slob hunters get mad and stay home. More wishful thinking? Maybe. OH , and wolves ;D Even they hear ya crash, their deer harvest is down as well. How do I know? Because I haven't seen a beaver in a year along my river. Later.

#20 ·
Well, 1/2 way through the WI season and I must say even worse than last year. One decent 8 point for a young boy, a small doe for another young boy and another doe for another small boy. 10 more guys not seeing anything or holding out for a decent one that will probably never show up.

We have 600 acres and practice QDM but there seems to be no deer and the ones that are around are absolutely nocturnal. Withing the past 5 years, I could pass up 3-5 bucks a day in just a few hours of hunting.

Haven't seen a single wolf or coyote so i'm not sure where their numbers are around us.

If this is mismanagement by the WI DNR, it's really too bad because we were sure headed in the right direction 3-5 years ago. I am a non-resident land owner so I pay $160 to rifle hunt and another $160 to bowhunt. This was the first time in 20 years I haven't bought a bow license and next year may be the first year I don't buy a firearms license in over 25 years.

#21 ·
lazermule, I am a resident but we saw no deer on our land this year in five days of hunting. I wandered onto some papermill land and spotted a nice buck just as he turned and dropped off the ridge in about 2 seconds. He evidently did not see the video, you know the one with the guide asking the hunter if he wants that buck, the hunter states the left G3 is shorter than the right G3, but still a nice buck. The guide asks if he wants the deer, the hunter says yes. Guide says take your safety off and shoot.

Nope, the buck I saw didn't catch that video, he did not realize he was to pose awhile. I will try again Friday, getting in the woods and enjoying the land is the main thing.

#22 ·
borrowed said:
lazermule, I am a resident but we saw no deer on our land this year in five days of hunting. I wandered onto some papermill land and spotted a nice buck just as he turned and dropped off the ridge in about 2 seconds. He evidently did not see the video, you know the one with the guide asking the hunter if he wants that buck, the hunter states the left G3 is shorter than the right G3, but still a nice buck. The guide asks if he wants the deer, the hunter says yes. Guide says take your safety off and shoot.

Nope, the buck I saw didn't catch that video, he did not realize he was to pose awhile. I will try again Friday, getting in the woods and enjoying the land is the main thing.

I have seen that video. ;D :D ;) :)

Cheese

#23 ·
Thats why they are doing it- knock the deer herd down to a level that the wolves can handle it, guess what? there are no more reasons wisconsin residents need guns! Why do you think wolves were re-introduced in the first place?
ok, my two cents.
1. Deer have become Public Enemy #1. It makes no sense.
2. The multiplicity of seasons appears to be to boost license sales and tourism $. Fewer hunters go home with deer.

The deer herd is on the decline because of poor management theories, and overhunting of the does and fawns.

We need some competition with the DNR, or at least some governing body who can give us a second opinion. . Now the DNR secretary is a political appointee, a yes man to the Governor; an office who has historically shown NO interest in hunting or outdoor sports.

Nothing is going to change soon.... Vote with your feet. For example: go to Montana and hunt elk!

That's what I am doing. Wisconsin can keep their deer.

#24 ·
Just got back from "sitting" in the northwoods, for about a week. O.K. here goes.
Saturday,(opener), Sunday, all day. (all day will be defined as 1/2 hour before legal opening time to legal quitting time, "ah hem" or just a tad bit more, with my rifle being unloaded at the prescribed time of course) Monday 11 A.M till quit time,
Tue. all day,
Wed. 11 A.M. till quit,
Thusday, all day,
Friday 11 A.M. till quit,
Sat. start till 10 A.M.
Now understand that would be for 2 hunters, on 2 different stands, over looking to different type of areas.
My son and I, plus another hunting companion, who I will say, hunted an equal amount as Us. To be acrurate they did go and watch one of the DNR excuses on Thursday.
Total tally of DEER seen or observed by my son and I. One 8 point buck, by me, walking along the side hill, while not to far to slip a bullet into him it never offered a sure shot, est. 150 yds. maybe I should have cut down some of those poplars and cleared a lane, ****, the forestry isn't letting anyone do it, just letting it die anyway.
While I don't want to get on a wolf/coyote rant I had coyotes right outside my door, that would be a 1st in 24 years in this location (Florence county). Don't get me wrong, a day hunting, bow or gun, doesn't usually go by with out hearing 'em sing. (I do not like their serenade by the way) This was the 1st I had 'em next door. I also heard my 1st, TWO, wolves howling on Tuesday eve. I have seen their tracks in the snow, in my hunting area though.
I give my 13 Y.O. a lot of credit for toughing it out the way he did. It can be tough for a kid to, enjoy something, when there is no hope of enjoying anything. We have to keep our youths interest up in hunting, or, we, will not have a future. That is, what the Depatment is also doing, which basically pisses me off even more.
JeffG is right and a trend I hope continues, go west young man, old man, ladies, heck, everybody, How about South, North, I've even been east a few times and had it a **** of alot better, ANYWHERE but here, for a while anyway, WE need to send a message. OR, how about getting the truth on THEIR agenda, I still believe there is more hear than meets the eye, ther I go reading between the lines again. CRASH 87

#25 ·
After I hit post, I went back and read the thread and feel I got off topic slightly, My thoughts, while already known before this years hunt, and now after, is simple: What in the heck is more time in the woods going to do on the DNR decimated deer herd, but, maybe give you time to put names to the red squirrels, woodpeckers, Jays, mice etc. Because your going to spend all of your time with them. CRASH87

#26 ·
My 2009 WI Season is done.....Saw 3 deer and passed on all of them as they were all fawns or fork bucks. Spent the last 10 years practicing QDM and planting $1000's in food plots only to see this downward spiral in the herd....kind of bums me out. Going to head back up in a few weeks and blow up some coyotes with the 204 ruger. They seemed to hide pretty well this past week.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.