Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2015 H&R NEF Success Thread

Hi Gang- Please feel free to post and tell us about any success that involves one of our H&R or NEF guns. I hope kids and adults all pipe up, if it has feathers, fur or scaley reptile skin and you shot it legally please post :

What game was taken?

Who shot it? If they are under 18 please just mention they are a kid, specific age isn't required if you don't want us to know.

What state? No need to tell exactly where in the state its just fun to know.

What type of H&R or NEF gun was used in which caliber This is important because at several points along the way there will be a "caliber score" posted and at the closing date FEB 1st We will grand total all kills by caliber and ga.

If you already posted mentioning your kid or your success please repost (no link,) it as a reply here as I will not tally from any thread but this one.

I will say a start date would be post dated as July 4 (summer skunks and what not shot after that date count...) All the fall seasons count, I am cutting it off on Feb 1 2016, sorry if some coyote hunters come in behind that date. But the final tally for calibers will be Feb 1.

Pictures and a story are wonderful, but a one liner just stating the required info will count.

Please just post success of your family or friends in your hunting party, no hearsay.

It can be a lot of fun to watch all fall and winter. Those of you who hang out in the shotgun, rimfire, Muzzle loaders and H&R pistols, sections please encourage the groups to come post (here). Its about the H&R/NEF success, so everybody grab a caliber you haven't seen successful yet and put a tally on the board. The year we did it first it was when the Maxi was all the rage and the 45-70 crowd was making it like the Hadfield's and McCoy's So c'mon lets have some fun. I will try to update tallies weekly.
Thanks thejanitor

·
Registered
12,510 Posts
Re: 2015 H&R NEF Success Thread

no shots at game yet for this year. just
fouler and zero checks so far.
i hope to remedy that this next week. ;)

·
Premium Member
388 Posts

9yr old first buck - 300BO handi
12yr old 2nd deer and 1st buck - 300BO handi
40yr old - don't remember which deer - probably somewhere around #45 - shorty 357MAG Handi
All are 2015 deer in Georgia

Attachments

·
Registered
144 Posts

4:20 PM, 30 Sept 2015, Southern Carbon Co. Wyoming. I got my first Antelope ever with a 22-250 Ultra I bought from PTBFour. That snappy little rifle continues to impress me.

·
Premium Member
9,821 Posts

I haven't been out in the field as much as I would like to but my 16 gauge Topper 88 has racked up a decent amount since Sept. 1st when our squirrel season started. I have over a dozen squirrels so far. I also shot 2 partridges, 1 crow and I took a 16.5 lb. Jake turkey in our fall turkey season (I'm in New Hampshire).

Everything was taken with the same load - Federal 1 1/8 oz. High brass #6, that load shoots lights out in my 16.

Sent from my SM-S765C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,510 Posts

let's have some more kids with their game photos.
always makes me feel good to see the younger folks
on a successful hunt

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

On Oct 17 my friend and I were asked to help a bee farmer by the warden. We sat up and shot 2 nuisance bears one weighed aprox 300 lbs and the other 90 lbs. I didn't take many pics as it wasn't like "hunting" but the farmer and warden were both very happy with the result. I used the 38-55 shorty I traded from Spanky and the custom bullets made by Talon.
So 2 MN bear taken with the 38-55 Handi a day before Bear season ended. -thejanitor

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts

22 hornet success!!! this afternoon hunted turkeys in our fall season. while sneaking around the creek bank trying to find a place to set up in the morning. i flushed a turkey. the turkey stoped at clear spot in the thicket. the little hornet cracked, and wouldnt ya know it it flew to the other side of the creek and died. so i waded waist deep water in the antietam to recover the smallest turkey on the farm i have raised bigger chickens!!! lol but it was still a success!!!

·
Premium Member
7,981 Posts

nothing here....but i did buy 2 more.......30-30 and 300 bo.......and more molds to feed them

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Good Job sharing and posting, Thanks

Well here are the standings so far.

22 Hornet 1

22-250 1

300 BO 2

357 MAG 1

38-55 2

16ga 16

Hope the weekend brings a few more posts, good luck. - thejanitor

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I let a young friend of mine use a .357 maximum to take his first deer. He was hunting with his Dad so I don't know all the specifics but he used the 357max with 150 grain Remingtons and I was very proud of him. Its a Button buck. -thejanitor
-Edit got the story- He had just walked into his afternoon stand opening day evening and about 15 minutes later it walked in on his trail. He shot it (75 yds) and it was DRT. He shocked everyone in his group by dragging it out to the truck alone too.
He is a good shooter and I got to spend part of a day at the range with him and he enjoyed the max the most shooting TB loads w 38 brass. But when I told him to shoot the gong with a max round he left a big dent in it that he thought was pretty cool too.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

OK as some of you know I was working on a load for the BO for a young hunter to use. Well after discussing with his dad we felt he would (and did) do better with the 357 max, so I had this gun all ready and I have carried it every day of season to see if I could get a deer.

Tonight a doe appeared about 10 min before dark 100 yds away feeding toward me, I let her come closer and at 65 yds she turned pretty much broadside, I shot her in the ribs in the "arm pit" hitting a rib bone passing through the top part of the heart and shattering another rib passing out still in front of the diaphragm on the far side. Bullet gave complete pass through not stopping on the skin like I had hoped, I wanted to see the shape of the bullet. The shock broke guts open even though the bullet never passed behind the diaphragm. It exited maybe 3 inches in front of the diaphragm... So Just wanted to share the "damage report"

She was hit, jumped and mule kicked ran in a circle, took 3 bounds away from me, stopped and was looking back at me. I shot her another time in the neck and she spun, I looked down to reload and looked up and she was gone. I got from the stand and walked up there and she fell right where she was standing at the point of the second shot even though I didn't hit the spine. So from where she was first hit to where she dropped dead she went maybe 20 yards with a half inch hole through her heart.

So my 300 BO was successful In MN on day 5`of our firearm season. A very nice sized doe was taken.

(now the B.O. gets wiped down and put away and the 38-55 gets to come out...)

thejanitor

PS- at dusk that short barrel does have quite a flash- kind of shocked me since all my other shooting with the BO has been mid day.

And since I showed my hunting buddy the gun and the round he kept asking each day if I was carrying my POP GUN, after we gutted and skinned he said I can fill his buck tag with my POP GUN now. ;D I thought that was cool.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts

357 max took a button buck this morning to start my 2015 season. :)

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.