Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,728 Posts
Congrats! That's a healthy looking buck. It's good to see a fellow New Englander fill their tag this season. Northern New England is a very challenging place to hunt deer, I consider any deer a trophy here. I've had a bunch of seasons where I didn't see a single deer all season. I lucked out big time this season. The NH opener for firearms was Nov. 13 and I shot this buck after only being in the woods for a couple hours which is completely unheard of.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, Winchester Model 70 in .300 Win Mag. and I load my own ammo, 150 grain Accubond.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ive had those seasons too where you don't see anything, or sometimes only does. That is a nice buck you there. How many points and what did it weigh?

·
Premium Member
9,728 Posts
Ive had those seasons too where you don't see anything, or sometimes only does. That is a nice buck you there. How many points and what did it weigh?
It was an 8 pointer and dressed weight was 150. Most of my seasons involve only seeing does as well. That was why I took opening day off from work, it's the only day we're allowed to shoot does in my area. The does must have known because I didn't see any.

·
Registered
213 Posts
My dad lives outside of Skowhegan Maine and he killed a big 8pt this year that dressed 198lbs. He killed it on his own property. I now live in NC, but still go up for visits and I am hoping to get drawn for the Moose hunt this year.

·
Registered
421 Posts
A couple of FINE bucks there! I've not hunted for deer in N.E. for a decade or more, but have been to one state or another about 8-9 times. My largest was killed in the Sebec Lake region, back in the late '80s. I do still enjoy the Maine bear season and will be there again this coming September.

Congratulations to you both!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,728 Posts
I've never been picked in the moose lottery but a couple friends have been drawn both in NH and Maine. The amount of tags they give out in NH is way down because of the population being so low now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts