Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you guys think a 22-250 would do on whitetail?? The guy who would be shooting it is an excellent shot with a handgun, but average with a rifle.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
In my opinion almost any rifle cartridge and load of a larger caliber is better. Not a fan of centerfire .22's for anything larger then coyotes, although many deer and larger have been taken with them.

·
Registered
6,258 Posts
People use them but I never would. You can kill any deer with a well placed shot and with in the proper distances. I would IMO go for another round more suited. Dale

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
In my opinion, the 22-250 is about perfect for whitetail deer. I've taken 2 deer with one. The last was a broadside shot at a GPS measured 360 yards; the 70 grain Speer Semi-Spitzer went in one side and out the other. I've also taken a deer with a 222. On that one, the bullet entered the front of the chest near the left shoulder and exited the right chest.

In short, for shots placed in the lungs or heart, the .224 caliber centerfires are fine. If you want to take shots from the rear, you need quite a bit more power.

·
Registered
10 Posts
We have a couple of guys that hunt on our place that use them.
One guy used to work on a huge 30,000 acre managed ranch and has probably killed well over 150 deer with that 22-250.
However he's a very good shot and shoots exclusively for the ear hole.
The other guy is more of a bird hunter and an occaisional deer hunter.
He too has killed a few deer with his 22-250.
If i recall he uses a Federal Premium 60 grain Nosler Partitions ammo.
I know there are a houseful of hunters that swear by their 223's and 22-250's for deer hunting but i am not one of them.
It is true with todays premium bullets and premium factory loads that the 22's will most certainly kill a deer it is risky none the less imho.
I mean if pushed came to shove one could always spend $200.00 on a NEF Handi Rifle or other beat up rifle such as a Savage 110 in a normal weight deer caliber and truely get the job done with a good bit more confidence.
There obviously is a reason a lot of states do not allow 22 centerfires to be used on deer.

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
264 said:
How do you guys think a 22-250 would do on whitetail?? The guy who would be shooting it is an excellent shot with a handgun, but average with a rifle.
22-250 WORKS FINE ON DEER.

It is best to use a good bonded ore partition type bullet though.

·
Registered
4,085 Posts
10 or so years ago I used a heavy barreled 22-250 to fill my deer tags. I used the Hornady 60 gr. hollow point pushed not too hard at 3300 fps. Most don't know it but this bullet was once touted by Hornady as a deer bullet. All the deer shot were hit broadside behind the shoulder, all bullets exited and all deer ran a ways and fell down. Worked for me but I don't use 22 centerfires on deer anymore. I have too many good deer rifles now.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Everybody has a favorite caliber for deer, for whatever reasons. I have a Remington 700 in 7-08 which is without a doubt a perfect deer caliber. Several years ago, I bought a 45-70 and it's my favorite. I now own 3 45-70's and a 38-55. My point is, I have found that I like big, slow moving bullets. I like the way they kill, and they suit my hunting conditions. Use what you like if it kills good. Be honest, if it doesn't work out, use something else.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have shot half a dz. or so deer with a Rem. 700 BDL Bull BBL. i used a Nosler 60gr. part. on a few. My Rifle also liked the Speer 70gr. semi-spitzer and it nailed several. Best if rib shot. I'd rather shoot deer with my 243, its heavier bullets help calm my nerves! Specially in using in any cover! Wide open fields you have time to pick your shot.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I've shot a quit few whitetail does with my 6mm-06 with 70-grain Nosler Ballistic Tips the last two winters. This is for short range shots. I recovered all I shot but some ran 50 to 100 yards. If I had not had snow for trailing them, at least two or three may have not been found. There is no blood trail. I have decided to move up to 7mm this winter for the shorter shots. For the real long range shots I use a .338-.378 Weatherby. It leaves a blood trail a blind man could follow. And yes, deer hit in the lungs with that caliber sometimes run a ways!

·
Registered
108 Posts
DALESCARPENTRY said:
People use them but I never would. You can kill any deer with a well placed shot and with in the proper distances. I would IMO go for another round more suited. Dale
DITTO!!!!! If your gonna buy a deer rifle, then buy a deer rifle

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Deer rifles are whatever the LAW says they are ;)

I will explain a little more. In Eire (Southern Ireland) a few years back they decided to grab all the rifles for the public then graciously allowed them to have some back however these were only small bores and .22 mainly. Eire has some nice Red and Sika deer and hybids of both and so 22-250, 220 swift adn 5.6x57 RWS became popular. Now the most interesting of these cartridges was the 5.6x57 RWS round as it's designed for the 70 grain bullet and it prooved highly effective against the deer. In fact that so effective than when the law was relaxed to allow up to .270 cal rifles those with teh 5.6x57 saw no reason to switch to a larger rifle.

If you read P.O Ackley's handbooks there is interesting writings on the sue of the 220 swift on Deer and Mules.

Now here in the UK .22 centerfire rifles are now legal for use on Chinese Water Deer and Muntjac but not Roe, Fallow, Sika and Red deer whenre minmum calibre is .240" the laws in Scotland are different again and the .22 CF rilfes can be used only for Roe deer if using at least a 50 grain bullet with a minmum velocity of 2450fps and producing 1100ft lbs Muzzle enregy all else require minimum of .240" and minimum 100 grain bullet with 1700 ft lbs muzzle energy and at least 2450fps. Daft but that is the way it is ???.

·
Registered
590 Posts
My dad built up a Sako 22-250 in '66 that's an absolute tack driver
that gun has killed a LOT of deer and wild hogs and varmints in Texas, we hunted in South Texas with 200 yard shots being the usual starting point
to the best of my knowledge has never lost an animal but he's an amazing shot and takes his time and makes the "right shot" every time
if you are like him, it'll work every time

like someone else said about if it's "your gun" and you are confident with it then it's your favorite gun, I know he had a LOT of guns over the years in all sorts of calibers, smaller to much bigger, but that old Sako 22-250 is "his baby" and the one he pulls out when it's deer or hog hunting time in Texas

if you are the average joe and not a great shot and don't have the discipline to pass up shots then perhaps a bigger caliber with more margin for error is in order

·
Registered
198 Posts
Most shooters can shoot a 22-250 more accurately than larger calibers and it is a mistake to think just because you have a larger caliber you have a margin for error. A deer shot in the guts with a larger caliber is the same as a deer shot in the guts with a smaller caliber, it is better to practice to become a good shot than use any caliber that's legal.
Drags

·
Registered
590 Posts
agreed
a lot of guys buy big guns because they lack the discipline to practice and want the biggest room for margin of error
I have seen guys that can barely hit a deer at a hundred yards
to me, if you can't consistently put all your shots easily within an inch at 100 yards something's very wrong

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
...A deer shot in the guts with a larger caliber is the same as a deer shot in the guts with a smaller caliber...
This is just another old wives' tale that needs to be put to rest. Let's think about what we say instead of just repeating some tired old gunwriters' BS. A deer shot in the guts with any .224" bullet is going to travel a long ways and suffer a long time. The same shot with a large caliber will do a lot more damage and is much more likely to lead to a recovered animal. I've seen two deer shot in the guts with big centerfires - one a 7mm Mag and the other a .30-06 (neither were mine). Both were hit behind the diaphram, but both deer traveled less than 300 yards and were found due to blood and gut trails. No .224" bullet will leave decent trails with similar hits, and those two animals would have been lost had they been shot with .22s. I once killed five deer with 6 shots using a .223 but that was a stunt and I would not do it again. I long ago gave up trying to see how small a cartridge I could kill a deer with. ::)

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Lone said:
...A deer shot in the guts with a larger caliber is the same as a deer shot in the guts with a smaller caliber...
This is just another old wives' tale that needs to be put to rest. Let's think about what we say instead of just repeating some tired old gunwriters' BS. A deer shot in the guts with any .224" bullet is going to travel a long ways and suffer a long time. The same shot with a large caliber will do a lot more damage and is much more likely to lead to a recovered animal. I've seen two deer shot in the guts with big centerfires - one a 7mm Mag and the other a .30-06 (neither were mine). Both were hit behind the diaphram, but both deer traveled less than 300 yards and were found due to blood and gut trails. No .224" bullet will leave decent trails with similar hits, and those two animals would have been lost had they been shot with .22s. I once killed five deer with 6 shots using a .223 but that was a stunt and I would not do it again. I long ago gave up trying to see how small a cartridge I could kill a deer with. ::)

ah YES! The I use a bigger caliber cause I can get away with more gunshots response.

So what is more irresponsible someone using a .22 caliber centerfire that knows it's limitations. Or someone who uses a 30-06 to shoot deer up thier poop chute.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
ah YES! The I use a bigger caliber cause I can get away with more gunshots response. So what is more irresponsible someone using a .22 caliber centerfire that knows it's limitations. Or someone who uses a 30-06 to shoot deer up thier poop chute.
Amazing. The poster clearly did not finish reading the post before he got his dander up and started venting.Nowhere did I say that a larger cartridge makes up for bad shooting - you are inventing that part to suit your own pre-conceived notion of what you apparently think I wrote. All that was stated was that with gut shots, the smaller cartridge gives a reduced chance of recovering the animal. That is just common sense for the thinking hunter.....

·
Registered
198 Posts
Lone star how many deer have you you seen that were gut shot with a 22-250? Do you mean if you shoot a deer in the guts with a larger calibers that it going to that its going to do damage to vital organ also?
Drags

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Nowhere did I say that a larger cartridge makes up for bad shooting -

When you say that you can find gutshot deer as long as a larger cartridge is used then YES your saying that ,a larger cartridge can make up for bad shooting.

All that was stated was that with gut shots, the smaller cartridge gives a reduced chance of recovering the animal.
Then I guess it's a non issue for those of us disciplined enough to not gutshoot deer then

1 - 20 of 56 Posts