Graybeard Outdoors banner

22-250 Update....

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Handi22-250 
#1 ·
Hi guys! I have been shooting my new 22-250 a lot lately, and I love this thing!!!

I just added a new 4-16X40 scope to it, and it is pretty darn accurate!!

It seems to like the 55grain Remington cartridges, after shooting 100 rounds of assorted ammo I found that the 40 grain winchester varmint pack shot the worst, and it seemed to like the 50 and 55 grain bullets better....

I have 100 rounds spent, so that means 100 shells to reload.

Has anyone come up with a decent load for the 22-250 handi?

Next up on the list is a nice thumb hole stock, and forearm to match.

I LOVE THIS GUN!!!!

:D

Rick

#3 ·
Handi22-250 said:
Hi guys! I have been shooting my new 22-250 a lot lately, and I love this thing!!!

I just added a new 4-16X40 scope to it, and it is pretty darn accurate!!

It seems to like the 55grain Remington cartridges, after shooting 100 rounds of assorted ammo I found that the 40 grain winchester varmint pack shot the worst, and it seemed to like the 50 and 55 grain bullets better....

I have 100 rounds spent, so that means 100 shells to reload.

Has anyone come up with a decent load for the 22-250 handi?

Next up on the list is a nice thumb hole stock, and forearm to match.

I LOVE THIS GUN!!!!

:D

Rick
Did you have to do anything to it to get it to shoot good?

#4 ·
All I've done to it is cleaned it up, slapped a scope on and started shooting it. It's also been bore sighted by the shop I bought it from.

I can get about 1/2 inch groups at 75 yards so far (not in the right place but it'll group), but I'm still getting used to the gun, and sighting it in a little at a time....

I had to clean the latch as it would break open on each shot, but I think it's fixed. I have been using a bench rest that supports both stocks so it can't break open, but I will test it soon.

Thanks for the re-load data, I will try that load (and check my Lyman and lee books for specs too)

I am picking up some dies, a case length gauge, bullets and powder tonight so I can start reloading.

(Ammo is getting expensive!!!)

:)

Thanks! And more reload data is always handy too!!

Rick

#5 ·
I have had very good results with IMR-4895 and 4064 and 50 gr Nosler BT's. H380 is a double base powder which I found to heat the barrel very fast and form cake in the cases. If you are loading other cartridges you would find that IMR 4895 and 4064 would most likely do well in them too.

Good shooting.

Mc

#7 ·
Handi22-250 said:
Ok, so I am going to try a 50 gr. V max with 35 grains of H380.....

What is a good cartridge OAL for the 22-250 handi?

Rick ???
35gr is too low to start, I'd start at 38gr which is Hodgdon's recommended start for the 50gr Sierra SP, max is 41gr H380, same for Lee data. Hornady's and Lee's recommended COLfor the 50gr Vmax is 2.350". ;)

Tim

#9 ·
I figured I would start with this powder for now, I have other dies, and guns, but I am only going to reload this caliber for now.

I just saw that on the powder bottle, 38 grains....

Ok, so I will start at 38 grains H380, and I the 2.350" overall length seems like it's really short to me for some reason, but if that's spec I will go with that.

These little V-max bullets look like they'd tear up varmints pretty good!

Thanks guys! More input is always welcome!

Rick :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.