Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Plan to use my 22-250 for deer this year. I know it can kill them but what do you think my max range will be? Also what are some good loads for deer for the 22-250?

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I would probly limit the range to 200yds. As for bullets the winchester 64 gr power point has a good reputation against deer in .223 so they should do even better in 22-250.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
The .22-250 is not normally a deer cartridge, but if you insist on using it use premium bullets. The WW 64-grain Power Point may work okay out of the .223, but it is designed for rapid expansion and if you speed it up by 300-400 fps in the .22-250 it may prove to be too soft and explosive. Better to try the Nosler 60-grain Partition or the Barnes 70-grain TripleShock X-bullet. High velocity challenges penetration with .224" bullets.

Don't you have a more suitable rifle for deer?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok

200 yds is my limit with my 270 also. over that just let um walk and get closer the next day? :wink: What podwer do you suggest for a 62 grn bullet? Im using varget with 50 grn bullets.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Think this way

I do have a remington 710 in 270 which is qiute frankly a piece of junk! When you say better you mean bigger. This is the way I see it.

Pros of using the 270:
-bigger caliber larger grain bullets
Cons:
-more recoil, bullets cost more means less practice time which causes me to not be as good with this gun which causes gut shots and misses.

Pros of using the 22-250:
-Less recoil better accuracy cheaper bullets means more practice time making me very good with this caliber.
Cons: Smaller caliber smaller grain bullets reduces effective range and room for shooters error.

If I keep my shots under 200yds max and load a heavy bullet at slower velocitys I think a 22-250 will make a good deer rifle. If these theorys prove to be wrong then Ill go back to the 270! :)

By the way these are just my thoughts and Im not being a [email protected]$$ or a know it all. Im asking yall because I want to know if Im seriously wrong in my thinking!! :grin:

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Oh bull dinky to all of you who say the .22-250 is not a "deer cartridge"!

I have used .22-250 with 52 grain bullets on white tail, mule deer and antelope, and have never had to track a single animal and the ranges have been from around 35 yards to 325 yards!

A lady friend of mine uses a .22-250 on white tail and antelope, with a 55 grain bullet, and has never had a deer travel more than 5 feet from where it was standing when the bullet struck it.

Another friend uses a .22-250 with a 55 grain bullet on deer and antelope, and he has had great success with it.

A friggin .458 Magnum is not a "deer cartridge" if you can't put your bullet where it belongs! Shooting a deer in the ass is NOT proper shot placement!

And as an afterthought, the best hunter I have ever had the pleasure to take game with used a .222 Remington on deer, antelope, elk, goat and sheep!

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
And many of my fellow workers in Alaska used the .223 on caribou, moose and grizzly - clearly, success does not make the .223 a bear cartridge. Of course a particularly good hunter can use a .22RF for deer - it happens all the time - but is the .22RF really a deer cartridge? (Somehow we never seem to hear about the failures of the .22s on game, yet we hear about every bullet failure out of 6mms, 7mms, 8mms.....odd isn't it? :roll: )

I love the OP's statement - " If these theorys prove to be wrong then Ill go back to the 270!' Does that mean that after he has wounded and lost "x" number of deer he'll go back to using what has been proven by thousands of successful hunters?

He says that he can't practice enough with the .270 - yet every year thousands of hunters DO practice enough to kill thousands of deer with .270s. Either the OP has exceptionally poor shooting skills now, or he should sell the .22-250 and buy enough .270 ammo to become proficient. His rationalization for using the .22-250 is weak...

BTW, I've killed 5 Kodiak Island deer with a .223 in six shots, so I do know something about the lethality of a .224" bullet. What I did was a stunt and I won't repeat it. I am trying to disuade someone else from making a mistake, that's all. Let your conscience be your guide, it's a free country for you to waste game animals testing a well-worn theory. Bull dinky indeed. :D

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
I didn't read Lone star that way,he said several calibers have failures every year.Not many "modern " hunters use the .22 center fires when they can buy a NEW 30 cal shortmag. I've taken deer with a 22 cf and would do so again if conditions were right. One thing for certain is poor practice will never improve your performance. Rather than sell the 270, just put it in the safe and buy 22-250 ammo and reloading gear. Speer makes a 70 gr for deer that can be pushed to 3300 + fps.Sierra made a 63 gr bullet that went around 3500 fps. Old Vern Speer shot ELK with 22 cf's.

·
Premium Member
3,517 Posts
This debate goes on here in various forms all the time. Someone will ask if a 25.06 is a elk caliber. Someone else will ask about a 22-250 for deer. The answer is always the same: Why? Why would you be in a race to use the smallest caliber possible? You can kill deer with a 22 short if you hit them in the head. All you have to do is, "Put the bullet in the right spot". Just because it can work doesn't mean it's a good idea. I simply don't understand why anyone would use anything smaller than a .243 for deer or a .270 for elk. It seems stupid, arrogant, and irresponsible to me.

·
Premium Member
10,747 Posts
I say use enough gun. Sure a 22-250 will kill a deer, but there are better choices in my opinion. :D

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The point

The point yall missed is that the gun is a piece of junk. It wont hold a pattern to save your life. I can shoot very well as far as ability is concerned. I will be testing out this 22-250 as far as accuracy and some penetration tests with different loads. But like Steve said people who hunt deer around here think that you have to use 7mm mags to kill deer when the truth is if they would just learn to shoot and when not to shoot they would be fine! :wink:

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Re: The point

The point yall missed is that the gun is a piece of junk. It wont hold a pattern to save your life.
Unfortunately we can't read your mind since you forgot to tell us the point: "piece of junk" has different meanings to different people. If you don't like the .270 and won't use it - why in the world do you even own it? Many of us would kill for a good excuse to buy another gun, and you squander the opportunity by keeping the POS? Shame on you! :D

·
Registered
381 Posts
Aaro is in southern georgia so i'd guess the deer there are smaller than they are here in arkansas. I would say a .22 centerfire is good enough.

·
Premium Member
2,749 Posts
Got a nice doe a few years back at 400 yards with a Ruger 77 60 grain 22-250, she ran about 70 yards and folded. Only rifle I had that year, had given my Savage 270 to grandson (who a 10 point last year with it!) I use a 270 WSM now, but have a 243, 7mm-08 , 260 , 45-70 and 25-06 to try this year 8). Will not be caught short again. I have confidence in the 22-250 on a heart-lung shot anyday thyough.

·
Registered
398 Posts
22-250

Ok, going out on limb here. Texas Throphy Hunter mag's game poll, showing kids taking deer and hogs in every issue. Gun used, 22-250 and others. I took three deer with 22-250, shooting Nosler 50g BT two years ago. All were shot broadside at 100 yards. One ran 30 yards and fell over, the other two ran 15 yards before falling over. Two were pass-thru shots, one came to rest in the off side. The damage done on the inside was impressive.

I had thought of trying the 70g Triple Shock this year, but with the rate of twist in my rifle, don't know if it would work out well. I bought some 53g Triple Shock that I'm going to give a try. The best thing I like about this round is no meat damage at all.

Now, I will tell you that I have several other weapons, .25 WSSM, 308, 243 and another toy, Encore with 25-06 pistol barrel.

Bob/TX

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Just like the folks that only bring their good targets to the house, you only hear about the spectacular kills using under-powered rounds. No one brags about how many he had run off not to be found.
Last year, sitting in the general store, this old fart (about my age) was braggin' about taking his grandson deer hunting. With a .223. "yep", he said, "he had to shoot at about 15 of them but he finally got one down."

That, of course, proves that the .223 is indeed a deer cartridge and an approriate choice for a small statued or beginning shooter.

And, yes, you can miss with a .270 but it does give you a larger margin for error.

·
Premium Member
3,517 Posts
And, yes, you can miss with a .270 but it does give you a larger margin for error.
and what's the advantage of using a smaller caliber, unless you only own one gun. If you've only got he one gun and it's 22-250 i say go for it. If you own a caliber that is more suited to deer, what's the advantage to not using it?

Both states I deer hunt in have a minimum of .243 which I think is great. It takes this race to the bottom off the table.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
No, no, no, Duck Killer. We're on the same side. I don't even agree that "if a 22-250 is your only gun, go for it". The problem I have is that some folks will read that a center fire 22 is okay for deer IN THE HANDS OF AN EXPERIENCED, CAREFUL HUNTER. And they will think, "hey, I've shot almost a box of shells thru mine in the last couple of years so I must be a seasoned, careful hunter" and they will go arkansawing away at whatever they see.

·
Premium Member
3,517 Posts
yeah, i can see that. On the other hand I think it's important for people to get out and hunt, even if they lack the best tools for the job. My biggest complaint is against those who have the correct tools but choose to engage in the "I kill deer with a X" debate. Respect for the animal dictates a .243 or bigger for me, and for the states I hunt in.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts