Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked one up. Gonna be reloading for it. Whats it gonna like. Just gonna be a plinker for my 8 y/o girls & Me of course

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Jolly:

Seems to like anything from 40gr - 50gr, have not tried 35gr or 55gr. Best factory was Winchester 46gr HP. 1 in 9 is NOT kinda slow for a H&R 22 Hornet, they have been that way for a while according to Tim. Hope you got a good deal on it. ;D

Brian

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
Mine is also a 1-9 twist barrel. It shoots 35 gr. v-max ok, hates 40 gr. Nosler's and really likes the 50 and 55 gr. v-max. I have tried both IMR4227 and Lil'gun, I get better results with Lil'gun. It has taken 200+ rounds to get the groups to settle in, even after using flitz on the barrel it has been a work in progess. I am thinking about getting some of those bulk bullets Graybeard has been testing since it likes the heavier bullets. Good luck with yours, it sure is a fun round. JamesIII

·
Premium Member
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brian. I tell ya what the guy beat me up a little on it ;D But seemed like a pretty good guy to deal with. James Ive looked at the 50 grain Vmaxes . Thats where I ll start. Now heres a Question , With the faster twist & heavy bullets ,do I have to push them kinda hard, So the bullet will stabilize. or will the fast twist take care of that.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Using the lazy-man's L'il Gun reloading technique - just stuff the Hornet case full and seat that bullet (you cannot overfill a Hornet case with L'il Gun), these compressed and mild loads would not stabilize a 40gr Sierra BlitzKing very well, but stabilized the 40gr Nosler BTip and the 40gr V-max just fine at 100 yards. The 50gr V-Max stabilized just fine too. The 45gr Sierra Varmints stabilized just OK, but not the clean-cut holes in the Shoot-n-C like the the V-Max and the Nosler.

·
Premium Member
242 Posts
The 22 Hornet is a finicky round, I find .5 gr. changes in powder can make huge changes in accuracy. Right now I am loading up 3 rounds each from
9.4 gr to 11.0 gr at .2 gr intervals with Lil'gun. Trying to find that "sweet spot". I will post my results, fall is kinda busy so it will be awhile. JamesIII

ps: I weighed a case full of Lil'gun, 14.0 gr. using remington brass.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts