Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have thought with Christmas coming up and all it is time to add another barrel to the Handi. I want some opinions on which barrel to get. I know the answer is going to be BOTH, but if you were to get one which would it be. I am a reloader so factory ammo is not a factor. I think that I want the 20" superlight barrel because it will be handier for hauling on the 4wheeler.

I know that the hornet uses less powder, but not a big issue seeing how many 223's that you can get out of a pound of powder.
I have heard that hornet cases are bad to crumple and crack the neck, which would make up for the difference in powder usage, brass is getting HIGH.
Is the Hornet noticeably quieter than the 223, this could be a positive for it.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
If you are going to handload, then I would go with the .223.

You can load the .223 down to Hornet levels if need be.
I have both calibers in a Handi and the .22 Hornet is quieter (a little louder than my .22 mag.)

The .223 brass might be easier to work with while reloading.
You could post in the reloading forum and get some info on reloading for both.

I hope this helps a little.

Spanky

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
I am one of the few that is not a big fan of the hornet. Mainly because I was really surprised at how loud it is. Just much more than I was expecting. If you reload, I personally love me 204. Just a little extra speed and zero recoil. Fun to watch things go pop!

·
Registered
122 Posts
turkeyeye,

The hornet really is much quieter than a 223 or a 204, but it is still loud. I really like the hornet. The fragile cases aren't really a problem if you neck size iso of full length sizing. I like rimmed cases in a single shot. Most importantly, I like older guns and calibers that remind me of my childhood.
Logic would say to buy the 223. There is lots of data available for slowing down (and quieting) a 223. Cases are free at any local range, just lean down and pick them up - they are everywhere. I guess that's my other reason for the hornet. Everyone has a 223 and I like to be a little different. The hornet has all the range and power I need for shooting squirrels. If I needed more, I would prob buy a 204 cause everyone has a 223.
I guess everyone has a 223 because its the logical choice.

The good news is that Handi barrels are easy to come by and not too expensive.

Bob A

·
Premium Member
1,076 Posts
Just so you won't be disappointed get both! :D :D You knew that was coming, I've had both in the handi in fact the hornet was 1st Handi rifle I bought.Since I got the 223 the hornet don't get used much,being a reloader I can load the 223 to cover from 22mag to full power 223 loads without much fuss.The two loads I settled on one using blue dot powder with 50gr hornady duplicates the hornet and same bullet using IMR 3031 handles the rest.
The hornet is fun but can be fussy to load for,but with today's bullets and powders is good to 200 yards,maybe a little more on a calm day.The 223 for me has been much easier to load for and more versatile.As for noise the blue dot loads in mine are same as a hornet.So I'd go with the 223,in fact I think I did.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all of the replies. Wouldn't it be nice to get 22 hornet,223,204,22-250 all at the same time when I send my frame back. But then I wouldn't ever know which one to grab for when I headed out. The only problem would be getting reloading stuff for all of them. The dies,brass, and bullets cost about as much as a barrel does. Hey, since 3 of them would be .22 caliber then the same bullets would work ::) I do want to keep peace with the wife, so I have got to quit thinking this way

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
darat100 said:
I am one of the few that is not a big fan of the hornet. Mainly because I was really surprised at how loud it is. Just much more than I was expecting. If you reload, I personally love me 204. Just a little extra speed and zero recoil. Fun to watch things go pop!
I am surprised you talk about the noise of the Hornet then recommend the 204! The 204 is noisier yet.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
hairtrigger

absolutely it is. But in my mind (a scary place sometimes) if I can't have a quiet round, might as well have one that reaches out a little further! Wierd logic maybe, but that was my thought process.

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
I have been toying around with getting a 223 superlite youth barrel for a carry gun.
The youth comes with sights.
I already load for the 223 so it makes more sense to me.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Since your a reloader, it would be a bad idea to get the Hornet. The brass on the 223 is much better, and you can down-load the 223 to Hornet velocities if you are so inclined with no loss in accuracy or bullet performance. I can't see why anyone would pick the Hornet of over the 223 today except for nostalgic reasons. The 223 will also give your more flexiblity as your tastes change.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hairtrigger said:
darat100 said:
I am surprised you talk about the noise of the Hornet then recommend the 204! The 204 is noisier yet.
Ditto that! I have shot .204's enough. Sure is one high pitched loud puppy. Two my ear, because of that high pitch, its louder than a 22-250.

The 22 Hornet sounds like a cap gun compared!

·
Registered
260 Posts
turkeyeye said:
Is the Hornet noticeably quieter than the 223, this could be a positive for it.
Yes! Much quieter. Out in a open field from a 100 yards away it not much different than a rim mag. Under a tin shed roof like at a shooting range it will have a louder deeper boom than a rim mag............but nothing like a .223

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
I have both and if I had to choose one it would be the .223. The factory Hornet is not as loud, but is usually more expensive. You can handload the .223 down to the Hornet but can't load the Hornet up to .223 levels. Despite what some may tell you, Hornet brass is real thin and requires a little more care when loading. I have less problems with crushed case necks with the Hornet if I load bevel base bullets. If you are like most of us here, it's not a question of which one you'll get, but rather which one you'll get first.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts