Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been awhile since I posted. Got a ?. I have an older H&R 22 Hornet. Can I have it rechamberd to .222 and be safe???

·
Super Moderator
51,252 Posts
Welcome back, where ya been??

The big question is how old? The .222 has a SAAMI MAP of 50kcup, that's too much for a frame made prior to 1987, that would be scary, the old H&R iron frames aren't made for that kind of pressure.

Tim

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quick:
I'm still kicking. Still have a couple single shot's. Got a BC in 45-70 couple yrs ago. Fun gun with my light reload's!!
My 22 Hornet in question is a NEF, not an H&R. It's a very light gun ( 5 1/2 lbs) with a 20" bbl.
Ser. # NL 204888
I love this gun for walking around for what ever but would like a little more power. Any suggestion's???

·
Super Moderator
51,252 Posts
That would be a Superlight, H&R won't fit a 204 Ruger barrel to that frame, so I would be cautious about making it a .222. Just a heads up, the 204 Ruger isn't marked with an asterisk on the accessory barrel list online, but it is in the 2007 Acc Barrel pamphlet, kind of misleading, wish they would correct all the errors online. :-\

Tim

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank's Quick. I'll try and stay around for awhile. Got side tracked with some long range Ground Hog shoot's past couple yrs.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
quickdtoo said:
Welcome back, where ya been??

The big question is how old? The .222 has a SAAMI MAP of 50kcup, that's too much for a frame made prior to 1987, that would be scary, the old H&R iron frames aren't made for that kind of pressure.

Tim

What barrels were available on the old H&R's??
I have seen some of the old Topper's on one of the auction sites but only in .22 Hornet and 30-30.

Spanky

1 - 6 of 6 Posts