Graybeard Outdoors banner

22 pistol

2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  John 
#1 ·
im thinking about getting a 22 pistol for squirrel hunting and plinking and was wondering if yall could make any suggestions?? i would like a semi auto but a revolver would be good too because of the light trigger pull you get from shootin double action. i really like the look of the ruger mark III hunter but ive heard the trigger is a piece of junk (like most rugers) and i havent heard anything about accuracy for it but maybe yall have?? any suggestions appreciated!!
joseph

#2 ·
Rimfirekid1022: Most ruger pistols I have owned and shot have been very accurate. My Government Model Mk11 is more accurate than I am. Yes, it is true the triggers are no even so-so, but have your gunsmith install a Clarke Trigger and you won't ever stop shooting that pistol.

Revolvers are fun for double action plinking and games, but the Ruger 22 autos are the most accurate field guns I've ever owned. HTH. Mikey.

#4 ·
Got to agree with "Mikey". My favorite .22 handgun is a scoped Ruger MKII 10". Accound for many a Gray Squirrel. Now if Ruger would make this in a .22 WMR, I'd be first in line to get one. Lawdog
:D

#5 ·
The Ruger Mark III is a good choice. I had the Mark II and it was extremely accurate. :D

#7 ·
:cb2: Well, I'm gonna go another route—S&W 617. Extremely accurate, and unlike automatics, it will shoot anything. Not finicky about ammo selection. The .357 K-frame platform is terrific as a .22 LR. It costs more, but it's worth it.

#8 ·
You have a multitude of choices. S&W 17 18 63 43 34 22S 41 35 and on and on, Browning Buckmark, Ruger MkI of MkII or Single Sixes and on and on. I haven't listed all of the ones you could choose from so, pick the one that fits your needs and likes and have fun. American firearms manufactures have given us a virtual cornucopia of .22 LR handguns, at least one to fit everyones likes.

#9 ·
:roll: Now let me see...................Boy! There are a bunch of good uns out there. I carryied a H&R 929 in my truck for years. It was exceptionally accurate and put lots of bushy and cotton tails in the pot. You should be able to pick up a 929 or 999 for about $130.00. From there the sky is the limit. I feel a lot better about taking a cheap gun out to knock around than I do about taking one of the Smiths, Sigs, Colts, High Standards or Rugers.

Course if you check the pawn shops in your area you may find one of the better guns at a good price. For some reason the .22s just don't sell that well.

#11 ·
rockbilly, there is a reason why S&W's cost more than H&R's? One gets what they pay for, quality! I've never been able to wear any of the quality guns I own out and God knows I've tried?

#12 ·
Lawdog,

I will second you with the Ruger MK2, 22WRM. It would be even better if they make the same MK2 678 GC flat sided in 38 Special and/or 9mmP too. That will make an interesting pistol for the ones who like to shoot squirrels with something other than a .22LR. Do you think that could be do-able?

LJB

#13 ·
LJB,

I don't know. I have been asking Ruger ever since I bough my first MKII to bring it out in the .22 WMR cartridge. They keep saying they are discussing the possibility of modifying the MKII for the .22 WMR round but...... As for chambering a version of the MKII in .38 sp. or 9mm I don’t see why not but maybe you should write Ruger and se what they say. If enough people ask they will listen. Lawdog
:D

#15 ·
Handgun Hunting

Hello Griz

Model 10 S&W 38 spl' That would work great for you, Just make sure you shot over the park behind you, Shucks you couldent do any real harm.
Just add to the confusion that is ever present if you know what i mean.

Take care old man :) :) :) ...........Joe..........

#16 ·
:cb2: That's right my friend! And the good thing is that the local law enforcement wouldn't even take notice. The sound of a little more gunfire just blends in with all the other background noise! :)

Couldn't use a .44 however. That's more gun than the locals use! :-D

#17 ·
I have an old Ruger Mark I with a bull barrel that I like a bunch. It will knock a squirrel out of the top of a tree, and as I've told here, it will dot the eye of a cottonmouth.

The only thing I would complain about is how ya gotta change out the clips...not the best.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.