Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
I like shooting shorts in my tube fed guns because they hold more of them. In a single shot I'd think the long rifles would be easier to handle loading and unloading.

·
Premium Member
1,500 Posts
I use shorts for discreetly dispatching various critters around the house.

Sent from my SM-G920R7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
.22 Shorts is the most fired cartridge in my household lately. ...yard vermin and plinking in the basement(I have a small bullet trap). I live in town, so I need to attract as little attention as possible - which the Shorts provide.

I've fired them in the kid's Rossi youth model single shot with no problems. My pump .22 Taurus 62 doesn't always like to feed them, but I haven't had one lodge in its 22" long barrel.

Just be sure to shoot the Shorts that aren't primer-only driven in a rifle. The primer-only ones aren't driven as hard and you do run the risk of a lodged bullet. ...which with a single shot is easy to check after each shot(just look down the barrel from the breech before loading a fresh cartridge).

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
I've shot plenty of the primer only CCI CB Shorts through a 25" rifle barrel of a Remington 121 without issue.
They still list over 700 fps with a fairly soft lead 29 grain unplated bullet. As far as I recall, there's no warning about shooting them through a rifle on the label or their website.
And they're very quiet, and plenty accurate at short range through the long barrel.

·
Premium Member
6,755 Posts
Mine is sighted in for CB shorts exclusively at 60'. I live in town so quiet is a must. No problem dispatching squirrels, possums require a CNS to take them. These will penetrate a squirrel noggin so be careful of backstop.

I get about 1" at this distance.

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
If you notice the barrel says LR, reason is that in some rifles loading a short can cause it to jump the ejector and will then fire when you close the action and the ejector pinches the rim. Larry

·
Registered
12,292 Posts
Over this way we do a 'Boys Rifle Match' with CB Shorts or Longs only and open sights, offhand; targets are the 100yd steel silhouettes set at 13.5, 25, 38.5 and 50yds. Ya gotta hit the 50yd rams at center or higher to knock 'em over. Standard Velo or HV Shorts would make it too easy. Some of the old boys rifles do some spitback with the CBs because they dont make enough pressure to expand the brass and seal the chamber (so wear glasses). This can happen with a woosy load in any Short. Long or Long Rifle, and with the soft loaded Long Rifle case with light specialty loadings (ie, Rem(?) Small Game).
The Sportster is fine for these at these distances, as is any sound 22 rifle with open sights or scope for most of us older guys with vision difficulties, and GREAT fun. As has been mentioned these work as well as they ever did for yard /garden varmints. And keep in mind that many old time squirrel hunters preferred the Std Velo 22 Short for hunting because there was no super-sonic crack. Pop a tree rat, note where it falls, sit for a few minutes and the others come back out.
Just try to find any 22 Shorts of any flavor, though.......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts