have a NEF 22 mag, but I do have a Marlin 983S and it loves Winchester
Super X 40gr JHP's from Wal Mart. CCI's and Remington 40 JHP's gave
me shotgun like groups. The Super X 40 JHP's gave me 1/2" groups
at 50 yards.

Robert

·
Premium Member
4,705 Posts
My nef shoots the Winchester 40gr JHP's very well. I did trim the barrel an inch or so, but I would give them a try. Larry

·
Premium Member
1,384 Posts
I agree with SM Bob.

If your looking for a starting point, my Ultra shoots Winchester Dynapoints and the black box Winchester Supreme very well.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Funny that the Dynapoints shoot well for you, I've tried them in my BRNO 611, my Savage 24 and my 6" AMT handgun and they were just lousy in all three, there also was a small cloud of smoke after each shot with Dynapoints from the AMT. The velocity of the Dynapoints was very poor, though I don't now remember the numbers, but that was the only ammo that wouldn't function in the AMT. I thought they would be good for edible game, like the old .22 Winchester Rimfire, however the poor accuracy from my guns rules them out for any use at all.
The best price I've found on WMR ammo is the Fiocchi brand from Grafs, about 2/3 the price of CCI. They make only the 40 grain but in both hollow point and flat point and it shoots very well from all of my guns, not quite the best from any but a close second from all. The only way to know what is best in your rifle is to try them all and there are now so many types of .22 WMR ammo that testing can get to be a bit costly, you may spend more on ammo than you paid for the rifle! But that is a good thing, more choices means more chances for one to prove exceptional, or you may just try one or two and call it "good enough".
I've tried 30, 33, 34, 40 and 50 grain bullets and all I can say for sure is that the point of impact changes greatly with different bullet weights.

·
Premium Member
1,384 Posts
coyotejoe said:
Funny that the Dynapoints shoot well for you, I've tried them in my BRNO 611, my Savage 24 and my 6" AMT handgun and they were just lousy in all three, there also was a small cloud of smoke after each shot with Dynapoints from the AMT. The velocity of the Dynapoints was very poor, though I don't now remember the numbers, but that was the only ammo that wouldn't function in the AMT. I thought they would be good for edible game, like the old .22 Winchester Rimfire, however the poor accuracy from my guns rules them out for any use at all.
Not funny, but lucky. ;) They are the least expensive ammo I have found and have shot well in my Sportster and OK in the Ultra since I tried them a couple years ago. I've read the many reports over the years about how many folks have not have good luck using them. But at just over $5 per box when I first began using them, I figured it was worth a chance. The Sportster is zeroed for 100 yards and holds within 2" consistently. It has claimed a couple groundhogs using the Dynapoints over the past couple seasons. The longest shot being about 60-70 yards. :)

·
Registered
9,618 Posts
Mine likes the Remington 33 grain Ballistic tips.
I wish mine shot the 40's better as they are a lot cheaper.
Mine also shoots the Federal 50 grain JHP's well.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Rimfires being what they are you will find all the same quirks apply to the WMR as to the 22lr. Variations in rim thickness, weight , QAL, etc. If, through experimentation you find a round which performs well for you , you can try to stock up on that particular lot number but I am not sure how successful that will be, RWS ammo seems to be manufactured very well but at over $30 a box is quite pricey! Good luck, Guy

·
Premium Member
9,385 Posts
Is that $30 A box/50 ( :eek:) OR $30 A BRICK/500?....<><....: :eek:

·
Premium Member
2,426 Posts
I've always had good groups with the CCI 40 gr. HP's. I recently found a couple of boxes at $6.00 each. Other loads haven't worked as well, but I won't spend $13.00 a box to find out how they shoot. Right now I've got a '60's Mossberg 642K that shoots under 3/4" at 75 yd. with the CCI's. They aren't as flat shooting as some of the others, but why mess with success. I've got the .17 HRM and a .22 Hornet for that.

·
Registered
490 Posts
MSP: $33.25 for 40 grn FMJ, $29.25 for 40grn JSP but it is out of stock at .22ammo.com. Per box of 50. Closest thing to match grade 22mag performance that I have found.

·
Premium Member
9,385 Posts
wow, those prices just astound me for rimfire ammo!!!!!....<><....:)

·
Premium Member
2,426 Posts
That's why I scarfed up the 200 rounds of older CCI that my dealer had @ $6/box. I reload my Hornet and can duplicate the other loads, and do better, cheaper than I can buy the overpriced new .22 mag's. I think that we all had better stock up while we can.

·
Premium Member
9,385 Posts
I just recently bought a few boxes of "Armscor" 40 grain jacketed soft point .22 Mag ammo for $5.99 a box of 50. After checking with some rimfire guys about it they said that Armscor .22 Mag ammo was not that accurate but my tests show it will be fine for coyotes out to about 100 yards, 2 to 3" groups max, that will work for me for coyotes. With the prices now I am happy I got it, wish I could get more for that price....<><....:)

·
Registered
260 Posts
PMC Predator ammo is still available from some sources for $6-7 a box. Seems to be better than the armscor stuff. I shoot their SP's all the time at $6.95 a box, or $60 per 500rnds locally.

I think I heard PMC is no longer making rimfire ammo, though...so it'll be gone soon.

·
Premium Member
9,385 Posts
thanks bscman, I will keep on the lookout for some in my travels ....<><....:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts