Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:D

Making plans to have a custom contender carbine barrel made up to shoot 222 Rem. or 222 Rimmed. Accuracy, not bullet weight, will be most important. Would I be better off having the barrel made with a 1-14 twist and restricting my bullet weights to 50 grains, or would 1-12 twist be just as good so I could use up to 55 grain bullets.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Not quite the answer I was looking for. I do plan on asking the barrel maker but I also thought maybe there might be someone on this forum that might have some experience to offer.

Let me re-ask my question differently so it does not make me look like I just fell off the turnip truck.

I would like to shoot 40-55 grain bullets. But after looking at the Shilen and Lilja web sites there seems to be a gray area between the 50-55 grain range. 1-14 twist for 50 grains and below and 1-12 twist up to 55 grains. My concern is what affect does 1-12 twist have on the the 40 grain bullets. I would rather just use the 1-14 twist if the lighter bullets are not going to shoot as well.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
custom257,
Always go to the tight side for rifling twist. It is better to spin a bullet just a bit fast than it is to spin it too slow. I have a 35 caliber barrel with a 1:10 twist that shoots a 158 JHC pistol bullet to .33 inch groups at 100 yards - all the data says that twist rate should be way too fast.
If it works, it must be true!

PaulS

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I agree with paul on this one. The 222 is alittle slower tham the 223 and could have trouble stabilizing some 55gr bullets. Especialy if your not pushing them fast. KN

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.