Graybeard Outdoors banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
A match bullet or bullet of tougher construction won't violently expand at less than 3k fps, when usisng a bullet that is meant to be shot at 3800+fps you can expect performance more like a big game bullet, some exapnsion but most of the bullet stays together. If placed in a vital area it would have still anchored any groundhog that ever lived. Shoot that same bullet at the expected 3800fps and it will violently expand blowing a large hole in your groundhog.

I promise you if you had used a lighter Ballistic tip, vmax, or speer 52gr HP you would have had no issue with the 222 on groundhog. Millions of groundhogs have been killed by the 222. I tend to think that bullet choice and bullet placement may have been your issue.

·
Registered
221 Posts
With all the talk on other threads about killing deer with the .223 I can't believe there is so much discussion about using a .222 for coyotes, let alone groundhogs.

Here's a bullet blowup in mid air that I witnessed - 120 GK in a M96 6.5 x 55. Probably 50:50 between a puff of smoke or hitting the target. I wouldn't think you could push them that fast in a 6.5 x 55. Maybe very sharp rifleing cutting the jacket? I dunno...

·
Registered
424 Posts
Larry,I don't drink but could be a jerk. I thought I was in AMERICA and had a right to voice my opinion. I said that it was " MY OPINION" so if that makes me a jerk, so be it. I AM VERY SORRY YOU DON'T LIKE MY OPINION BUT THIS IS AMERICA OR AM I WRONG. Don

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
WOW, that 22-250 with the 52grain sure did a number on the ground hogs, must have been a super gun I had there. The 222 is a VERY poor choice for anything bigger than a bunny IMO.
I think I will stand with my opinion of your post. Larry

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I will give you the benefit of the doubt about if your a jerk or not, most of us can be at times, but your original post did seem kind of sarcastic. I'm sure your 22-250 was a great gun but I doubt it had any magical properties that allowed the 52gr bullet to kill better than any other 22-250. Velosity was your friend in that situation.

While I don't care either way what caliber or cartridge you shoot I think you probably would have found the 222 much more effective with a different bullet choice. It is a very capable varmint and predator round.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I have to stand up for the great 222. I have shot one for over 40 years. I use mostly 50gr Hornady SX bullets. And yes the SX bullets do have a little slip of paper that says " Hornady SX bullets are for use in cartidges of velocity up to 3500fps."
As long as you keep your shots within 250yrds you should have no problem with killing coyotes. My 222 guns have taken many varmints over the years. I still have a stock pile of SX bullets in 50gr & 55gr because these are my favorite bullets in my 222, 22-250 & now my 223. Sierra Blitz were my second favorite bullet. I have tried the Nosler BT's with good results also.
As for hide damage, usually all you have is an entrance hole on coyotes with SX bullets.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
:D While I have never had or seen a .222 with a 1-9 twist, it should work fine if it groups lighter bullets well enough...with the fast twist, it should do fine with heavier bullets, but I am not sure about light ones....the 50 grain is my favorite for this caliber as OH stated, I like the horn. and Serria light jacket bullets for the .222...I have a supply of those also...Plus the plastic tipped bullets ...for me the old .222 is a dandy....

·
Registered
Handgun Hunter, Target Shooter
104 Posts
I have owned Two SAKO rifles over the years in 222 Remington. The first one was new production around 1980. It was not my first choice. J&G I believe was a distributor for Sako. My original plan was to order a Heavy Barrel 220 Swift. Out of Stock. Called again to check on a HB 22-250 also Out of Stock, and no 6mm or 243 HB either. I finally asked the lady to check and see what they did have in stock with a heavy barrel. She said they had a 222 Remington on the shelf. I ordered it. I set it up with a Redfield 20X scope. This was the most accurate factory rifle I have ever owned. I shot a .182 three shot group with it one time when checking the zero. I killed most of the coyotes I have shot over the years with this rifle. I have made a couple 400 yard shots with it. In a moment of weakness I sold it. A few years later I came across an older Sako dating to around 1946 with a clip like a 788. Again a heavy barrel 222 Rem. This was a very well taken care of older Sako with a Stith/Kollmorgan 6X scope and Stith/Kollmorgan Base & Rings. The very top of the line Scope and Mount when the Sako was new. I put a 10X fixed power scope on it and killed a few more coyotes with it. I ended up putting it back together with the old scope and finding it a new home in a collection where it would stay in near new condition. An old Sako in this condition did not need hauled around in my truck getting dinged up. Still no 22-250 or 220 Swift. I replaced the old Sako with a Custom built by the guys at Hunts Long Range. A long throat 223 with 1-7 Brux barrel on a stainless 700 action. Glass is a Leupold VX III 8.5 - 25, 50mm Long Range Mil Dot By Premier Reticle. It will magazine feed 80's from the AI magazine. This rifle has never killed anything but steel and paper. I would have liked to have shot the first Sako and this on side by side when my eyes were 40 years newer to see what both were capable of.

Bob R

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have many guns I use for coyote hunting
the 222 remington is my favorite lite and easy to carry and puts the smack on the coyote within it limits
it's not as hard on them as a 220 swift is but it don't have the range either
what I like it's not hard on fox either

·
Registered
230 Posts
Guys, I know you’re new here, but this thread is over 12 years old and the OP hasn’t been back to the forum in many years. Please check the thread dates before you post and revive a zombie thread.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Larry lets see some linkable facts to back this up, I have never in my life heard or seen anything on a bullet blowing up in mid air ever even doing a google search will not yeild any results.

Now talking barrel twist like in the original post, he needs a bullet that is so constructed to work with the barrel twist such as a 1 in 9 where he can use a heavier bullet instead of using a 1 in 14 that would only allow the use of lighter bullets.
Old but first I've seen it, I had a 222 Rem 788 and it was unbelieveably accurate with bullet's to 50 grs. eavier bullet's started dropping off. I liked Hornady 50gr SX and Hornady cautioned that velocities over 3500 fps would blow up the bullet.s in the air. Buddy had a 22-250 so we tried it out. Loaded them to right at where the manual claimed 3500 fps was and tried firing them. Yep somewhere around 3500 fps we could see the bullet's come apart in the air. We'd thought twist caused that and maybe some. don't rememebr the twist on that 22-250 buy my understanding was the 22-250 twist was set up for 50gr bullet's and we found them coming apart in the air at 3500 fps.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts