Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm thinking about a single shot 223 rifle. Don't want to break the bank and not sure how much I'll use it. Basically thinking of the H&R Ultra and the CVA Optima centerfire. Any comparison? Anyone shoot both? Any input appreciated. Oh...I'll be mainly target and local club competition and occasional groundhog hunt.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have had a H&R ultra in 223 for several years and right from the first it was a great shooter. Mine will shoot under an inch at 100 all day long. I originally bought it so that my son could go varmint hunting with me but it has proved to be such a good shooter that it has become one of my favorite rifles.

·
Super Moderator
51,508 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,714 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quickdtoo, that's alot of 1 type rifle. On average what size groups do you get and or consider good? Someone on another forum cautioned me that H&R uses cheaps Chinese castings and made mention of what happen when your brass splits...can the action contain it? With your experience have you heard of weal actions?

You are a good testimonial so I'm gonna look real hard at the H&R Ultas.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,714 Posts
I'm just a little neophyte compared to Tim. I have 11 H&R rifles and 2 shotguns. First, there are no cheap chinese castings, H&Rs are made, not assembled in the U.S.A. The brass doesn't split, and the actions handle Buffalo Bore ammo, right along with Ruger and Marlin. The guy on the other forum is talking through his hat. Most of us can get MOA or sub MOA with our Handis.

Sorry, I'm ignorant about weal actions....know nothing about them. Hopefully, Tim will be better informed than I. I'm sure he'll be along soon.

For more info on Handis, go up to H&R Talk, Center fire rifles. There's a world of factual information there.

Good shooting,

Pete

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I usually take bad reports with a grain of salt because like you said they either work for someone else or have an axe to grind. But with so much stuff being made overseas you can't be too careful. I'll definitly be looking for the handi after the first of the year.

Happy Thanksgiving, ralph.

·
Super Moderator
51,508 Posts
As Pete said, H&R single shots are made here in the US, used to be Gardner MA for the last 60yrs or so, but when Remington bought H&R, they moved the plant to their Ilion NY facility, the NEF repeater shotguns are made offshore tho, but the only one I know much about is the Pardner pump which is a chinese clone of the 870 with some improvements from what I've read, a very popular shotgun.

Spend some time in the H&R Centerfire Rifle forum as Pete suggested, depending on the chambering, average 100yd groups size is ~1", many shoot much tighter, my 500S&W and 460S&W shoot ~2" groups with the loads I have shot, my 45-70s shoot well under 1", same for my .444Marlin, my 223 Ultra Varmint shoots ½" groups with the "cheap" Winchester White box value pack 45gr JHP. ;)

Tim

·
Premium Member
2,431 Posts
petemi said:
I'm just a little neophyte compared to Tim. I have 11 H&R rifles and 2 shotguns. First, there are no cheap chinese castings, H&Rs are made, not assembled in the U.S.A. The brass doesn't split, and the actions handle Buffalo Bore ammo, right along with Ruger and Marlin. The guy on the other forum is talking through his hat. Most of us can get MOA or sub MOA with our Handis.

Sorry, I'm ignorant about weal actions....know nothing about them. Hopefully, Tim will be better informed than I. I'm sure he'll be along soon.

Good shooting,

Pete
Sorry to bust your baloon about being made in America, but the stocks are imported from China. I saw them at the factory last year.

·
Super Moderator
51,508 Posts
H&R wood stocks were made in Gardner MA, now they're made in the new wood mfg plant in Ilion NY with the exception of the thumbhole stocks which are made by Boyd's. Synthetic stocks are made by Choate Machine and Tool, they may be imported, I don't know for sure. NEF Pardner Pump shotguns are made in China.

Tim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts