Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone shooting the BARNES XLC 50gr bullets in their .223 ULTRA? What powder and seating depth do they like?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
51,257 Posts
That would be up to you, most 223 Handi owners load to SAAMI recommended COLs, Barnes recommends .050" off the lands with all of their X-bullets, and doesn't list COLs for any of their loads, that doesn't help much in the deep throated H&R .223 barrels, there's no reaching the lands until you get up in the 70+gr bullets for the most part, which don't shoot in the 1:12" barrels, and most 1:9" barrels don't do well with them either. :-\

Tim

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got to do a little shooting this morning with my .223 ULTRA. I likes the BARNES Bullet pretty good. Mere is my accuracy load.
WW Brass trimmed to 1.75
RP 7 1/2 BR primers
H-335 24.0 gr
COL 2.260

Three shots at 100 yard can be covered with a dime. Probably could fine tune the seating depth and do a little better but why bother.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't own a chrony. It was the starting load for H-335 with the 50gr bullet in the HODGDON manual. The 25.0 & 26gr three shot group did not group as well.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just looked at the HODGDON manual and it listed the 50gr bullet a 3,1660 not sure about the FPS with the BARNES coated bullets. I have heard that you might gain 150 to 200 FPS with these coated bullets. I just go with the tightest group and load from there.
I'm not looking to burn out a barrel, just hunting accuracy, and bullet performance. These ought to handle anything from groundhog, fox, coyote, and even whitetail deer given the right shot placement and yardage.

·
Super Moderator
51,257 Posts
The Barnes #3 shows the 50gr XLC data for H335 as 22.5gr start at 2869fps, 26.5gr max at 3368fps from their 24" test barrel.

Tim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts