Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a Youth Handi in .223 for my 8yr.old daughter earlier this year. This was my first experience with any H&R products(I bought a NEF Heritage muzzleloader earlier, but was unaware that they are made by the same company) When I took it out to shoot it, I couldn't believe it, it was all over the paper. I was very dissapointed and have thought several times about returning it and going with something else. She did take her first deer ever with it- a button buck, but missed him on the first shot at 75 yds. Now I'm mad and determined to make this gun shoot good groups. I just wanted to say thanks for posting the Handi basics 101 and FAQ's page. I'm going to try all the tips and see if I can make it into a shooter.

I don't have the option of handloading right now, so what would you guys suggest in the way of factory ammo? I've shot around 60 or so rounds of everything Wal-Mart offers in 55gr. and under with no visible results of one being better than the other. (This is with an older Redfield 2-7x40 scope) The best I've gotten out of it so far is 5-6inch groups at 100 with lots of fliers. (It does have 1:9 twist BTW)

Also, are the youth barrel and the ultralight barrels the same? I've read several stories about accuracy problems with these and if they are the same, I see I'm not alone in accuracy woes. I've also read about some very tight groups out of .223's I take it that these are standard and bull barrels?

If I don't have any luck I'm going to replace it with a 30-30 barrel. The reason I went with the .223 in the first place, I was afraid of the recoil, but now I see she can handle a slight bit more ok.

Thanks guys,

Sam

·
Premium Member
4,283 Posts
Have you polished the bore yet? Stick with the heavier bullets. Kurt

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
Call the factory!

They have accuracy standards and will fix it and ship it back with a pic of a target and tell you the round they used.

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Parts man. I had considered calling them to return the barrel for another one, but I didn't realize that they would do this. I will definitely contact them.

·
Registered
273 Posts
You've probably been to the FAQ's and seen the O ring thing on the barrel lug. This didn't work that well on my .223, 30-06 or 270. What did is laying down, with a little wood glue, a strip of soft leather about 1/2" wide x 1 1/4" long in front of and just behind the bolt hole inside the forend. I put two on each side, one on top of the other to get the thickness I needed. A lazy man's way to bed and float the barrel. The same thing could be accomplished with something like strips of bicycle inner tube. If it doesn't work, pull it out.

·
Banned
766 Posts
Jon ,

The 223 Caliber can be a real pain sometimes, i havent bought the youth rifle (handi) for my nephew yet but when i do it will be in 243, thats besides the fact of course, but recently bought a 223 bull barrel off a fellow member here and it too is a 1 in 9 twist
Finished up my sighting in today .. and i got my best results from the 75 grn hornady match with a 5/8 3 shot group at 100 yrds
a batch of PMP 55 grn south african ammo faired well also..
And even with that nice little group i sighted in for the Hornady TAP (75 grns also) rounds i picked up just for this shooting session
Groups werent measured do to the rain and me not wanting to truck back up the range for a drenched target but i would guess it under a half inch at 100.
The 1 in 9 should favor a heavier round.... I pesonally woiuld recommend the Hornady TAP rounds, after searching out 3 fired into the Arkansas clay , they leave one nasty nasty expanded round in their wake (will try and get some shots of the recovered and post them ) but in short as far as that round is concerned after seeing its accuracy and expansion , i would stake my life on it, and will let you know how it does on my up coming hog hunt , think the missus will be using it

Hope all that ramble helped heh ,Regards

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks a lot guys! Before I do anything else, I'm going out in just a few minutes and shoot with the forearm off ito see what happens and go from there.

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just got back in. I could only shoot at 50 yds. due to rain, but after a very thorough cleaning and with the forearm removed I got a 3/4" group! To say I'm happy with that is an understatement!!!
Thanks darat100, yes I thought about the scope several times, but it has sentimental value, and I just hated the thought of it being this scope, so I decided I would try all other possibles first-- I'm sure glad it turned out that it wasn't.

The forearm screw was VERY TIGHT. I would guess the barrel was probably flexed .010" to .015". No wonder it wouldn't shoot.

I can start tinkerin' now, see what I can come up with in "floating the barrel" and trying different ammo to see if I can find one it likes.

Thanks guys for all your input. This is a great forum.

Sam

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
You might try it with the screw just snug.
Some guys even have torquing screw drivers for them.

I use my cordless drill on its LOWEST setting for mine.
That way its tight enough not to come loose and is always the same.

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Heres an update on my daughters youth Handi-Rifle. As you know I started out with anywhere from 4-6 inch "groups". I read the FAQ's and Help section, gave it a very thorough cleaning and took the forend off. Th screw in the forearm was VERY tight, It was all I could do to get it loose. The barrel had to be flexed considerably. Since I had shot up several boxes of differnt ammo all I had left was half a box or so of the cheap 55 gr. FMJ off the shelf at Walmart. A three shot group at 50 was inside a 1 inch circle. I was very happy.

I tried an o-ring on the barrel lug, but it still didn't suit me on the way it fit, so I put two o-rings on. The second one seemed a lot better with the synthetic forearm. After this modification I took it out and shot it again and it was way off. I started scratching my head. The scope I have on it is an older Redfield that belonged to my dad. Back years ago this was probably a $300 scope. I just hated the thought of this scope being bad, but I went ahead and took it off and mounted another scope.

Well after getting it sighted in, I shot a three shot group tha could be covered with a quarter, and me and my daughter together shot a six shot group that can be covered with a milk jug top. Excellent shooting for an 8 yr old!!!

So darat100, you were right, that scope was bad.

Has anyone had any dealings with Redfield, or know anyone that might be able to repair this scope. I really hate to let it go.

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Tim, I'll definitely check it out.

Thanks Parts Man for your input.

This was the first time I've ever had to work on a rifle to get it to shoot,(I've been blessed in tha what few guns I own were handed down to me from dad, and I have never had to do anything to them.)and man this is very addictive, I see what you guys are talking about. Being a machinist by trade, I love to tinker, and I believe I'll buy myself a Handi and a barrel or four!! ;D

I've always wanted a rifle chambered in 45-70, but recently I thought about the .500S&W. What do you guys think?

·
Super Moderator
51,257 Posts
JonD. said:
I've always wanted a rifle chambered in 45-70, but recently I thought about the .500S&W. What do you guys think?
45-70.......... first!!! ;D

·
Premium Member
7,574 Posts
I did the RTV bedding to about an inch in front of my ultra and It seems to shhot good with all the barrels I have put on so far. I have a 45-70, 243 bull and just recently a standard 223 barrel. I fitted the 223 barrel last night and got 1" groups with the first load I tried 36 grain varmint grenades. Now if I can olny find a coyote to test the terminal performance one.

·
Premium Member
9,385 Posts
I agree, a 45-70 first!!!....<><....:)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts