Graybeard Outdoors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,611 Posts
857 said:
Do you guys have any info on 223 in heavy barrel pros are cons ? I can pick one up never had a 223 looking for help . 1-12 barrel thanks
I dont really know what your asking us...

I like mine!

CW

·
Premium Member
9,714 Posts
I guess it depends on how you'll use the rifle. I had a heavy barrel .17HMR. It was a tack driver, but I didn't like it. It was too heavy for woods walking and would only sling well muzzle down. In a stand or off a bench it would be fine. I sold it and bought a 1:12 standard .223. I sold that also and bought a 1:9 .223 Superlight. I think the 1:9 is more versatile. It's shooting 52 gr. Hornady HPBTs very well, but with the 1:9 I can go heavier.

Pete

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
My 223 was a standard barrel with a 1-9 twist. It always shot pretty well until I had the barrel shortened to 16 1/2" (Thanks Pete!). It is more accurate now than before and shoots fodder from 40GR to 62GR with very acceptable accuracy. I had a standard with a 1-12 barrel that I gave to my BIL. The last time we shot together he was able to hit a 16" gong repeatedly at 500 yards. He was using some cheap ammo and turned down my carefully crafted handloads, said that he was doing OK with what he had.
FM

1 - 4 of 4 Posts