Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Contender folks, several years back I did a comprehensive 22 LR ammo tests in all of my rim fires trying to determine the best ammo. Has anyone here done that with their Contender? If so is there a preferred ammo in .22LR for the Contender.
When I did this test years back, I was getting match grade ammo for 4$ a box. :tango_face_surprise
Not any more! These kinds of test I can no longer afford. :( Times have changed.

I appreciate any guidance in this ammo search.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I recently acquired a TC 10" 22RF barrel with match chamber, took it to the range for its first function test with my "junk" bag of various RF ammo. I just grabbed a partial box of Federal Target "auto" in the white 525 size box, out first for a function test. That barrel actually shot this ammo pretty darn good IMO. Now, I'm new to the contender game, so take this for what it's worth, but at 25 yds (just stepped off the distance) and using 1" orange dots for targets on a cardboard box I pulled out of the dumpster from a wobbly bench on a couple makeshift bags, I was able to keep the majority of the shots in the 1" dot. I do have a 2-7x scope mounted on this and the TC forearm that doesn't ride a bag very well due to the slope. I shot the remainder of this box (50-75 rds) as I was so surprised at the accuracy this ammo, so now I have to find some more of it and hope it's as good. Also need to get a better forearm for it to see what it can do.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have had excellent accuracy (1/2" @ 50 yards) using Winchester T-22 rounds in my 10" bull barrel Contender with 2.5-7X scope from the bench. PMC 40 grain solids also shoot very well and are cheaper.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I recently acquired a TC 10" 22RF barrel with match chamber, took it to the range for its first function test with my "junk" bag of various RF ammo. I just grabbed a partial box of Federal Target "auto" in the white 525 size box, out first for a function test. That barrel actually shot this ammo pretty darn good IMO. Now, I'm new to the contender game, so take this for what it's worth, but at 25 yds (just stepped off the distance) and using 1" orange dots for targets on a cardboard box I pulled out of the dumpster from a wobbly bench on a couple makeshift bags, I was able to keep the majority of the shots in the 1" dot. I do have a 2-7x scope mounted on this and the TC forearm that doesn't ride a bag very well due to the slope. I shot the remainder of this box (50-75 rds) as I was so surprised at the accuracy this ammo, so now I have to find some more of it and hope it's as good. Also need to get a better forearm for it to see what it can do.
That's good to hear. I was hoping the Contender wouldn't be as finicky as some 22LR's I've had.
Thank you

·
Registered
826 Posts
You might want to try CCI Std Velocity, often thought of as target loads, and the Armscor loadings as well. We have several shooters using the CCI Std Velocity in our silhouette matches.(when that COVID19 pandemic hadn't closed down the club yet) and they do much better than you might believe. The Armscor is deadly accurate in a number of them as well, just not readily available in my area.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I have a brick of the hollow points Armscor I got at a local gun shop about a year ago, and although I'm sure they have a 40gr version, (most everyone does), I haven't come across them yet.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
5 shot group

I very recently acquired a Super 14" 22.LR Match barrel, set it up this morning and got it sighted in.
Ammo was RWS Target 40 gr (I happen to have 2-1/2 boxes in my stock)
5 shots off bipods at 28 yds
2x Swift Pistol scope
This was my first 5 shots for group after sight-in.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
That is some nice shooting mag41vance! I aquired a 22lr octo barrel last month. Getting 1" groups at 50 yard using CCI Mini Mags. My barrel didn't like the CCI Standard but the barrel was brand new in box. It didn't shoot worth a hoot until I put about 500 rounds in and its starting to get better. Have to try Armscor stuff when I go to the store later.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I have only used the Federal 36gr HPs in my 10" iron sighted and 14" scoped barrels. The 10" works great for small game and hogs out to 50yds and shoots about 2.5" at that range for me, and the 14" I mostly use to punch paper with it's 4x Simmons scope, but it regularly shoots into 1.5-2"@100yds off a rest, when there's no wind and I hold my tongue right. I haven't really had a need to do any further tests because this load does what I need.

·
Registered
550 Posts
22 Ammo

I currently have a 14" Contender barrel and it isn't picky with the brands I have run through it. Federal Auto match, plain Winchester hp, and Federal 22hp, even Remington shot well when they would go off. I don't buy Winchester anymore because they took lessons from Remington. Had problems with them not going off. It shoots better than I can.

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
My 23 inch barrel shoots great with the Winchester 36 gr. HP Called the "Xpert 22 hollow point". That said do any of you guys notice a pretty big bulge in the case where it matches up to the extractor cutout?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts