Graybeard Outdoors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a M-64 Winchester (1953) that I wish to redo. Its not at all in good shape so restoration is not in my plans. I want to make a shooter of it with blacktail deer in mind.
I want to use the 23/35 AI and am looking for a 22" Octagon barrel. Anyone know where I can find a suitable barrel? Thanks. POW

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
thinking it over I decided that it need not have to be an octagon barrel.
Also a good receiver sight like the old Lyman. Are they still available?
What I have in mind will be more like a 65 in looks but long action (64).
Any suggestions would be welcomed.
About all I will end up using will be the action and magazine. Even the tube will be shortened like a 65. The wood will be new as well as the barrel
POW

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
KSR thanks for the links. The sight in the link is the tang sight whereas I was looking for the old Lyman receiver sight. The barrel looks good though. I wonder if a 1:14 twist will work for a 25/35 A I? I`ll find out.
Also I need to find out who can chamber it to that wildcat round. I know there are reamer rentals. That will probably be the way I will have to go. Thanks for steering me in the right direction. POW

·
Registered
59 Posts
POW, I don't think a 1:14 would be a very good choice unless you only want to shoot light bullets. I would guess anything over 85 grains will not stabilize with a 1:14. I have a 1:10 25-35 AI and it shoots the heavy 117gr stuff fine. I have seen many 25-35's that were even 1:8 or 1:9. Good luck, it's a fun caliber.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts